Census worried about republican misleading census, thoughts?

Republican groups are raising money under the guise of the U.S. Census Bureau, leaving the government's people-counters worried that a flurry of misleading letters could make some Americans less likely to respond to the real thing.

After the Republican National Committee raised money with such mailings, congressional Republicans are now conducting a fundraising "census" of their own.

House Minority Leader John Boehner writes in a new mailing that people were specially chosen to receive "the enclosed CENSUS DOCUMENT containing your 2010 Census of America's Republican Leadership."

Like other solicitations in recent months, Boehner's seeks to capitalize on the name of the Census Bureau, which mails official forms to the nation in mid-March.
The Census Bureau is worried the flurry of misleading letters could deter participation, and Democrats are pushing legislation to stop it.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Wow, I guessing the Democrats are wishing they came up with the idea first. Nancy is probably kicking herself.....

Anonymous

• I would have to know exactly what is in the envelope. It doesn't bother me. They usually only send things to people who have given to the party already, so they are likely registered Republicans. Heritage foundation always sends me surveys to fill out and then they ask for money on the last page. It doesn't mean that they are particularly interested in what my answers are (although I would think that Heritage would be more interested than most groups), they just want money. I am sure that Democrats and their organizations do the exact same thing. There is no trademark on the word census. I think this administration and the Democrats should grow a thicker skin. If they aren't breaking the law, it should just be dropped.

Anonymous

• This----

I think this administration and the Democrats should grow a thicker skin.

(Thanks, anon!)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think this administration and the Democrats should grow a thicker skin.

What does this have to do with the census takers?

Anonymous

• We received one. It says right on it: "NOT PRINTED AT GOVERNMENT EXPENSE". Which means that any normal person can guess that it is a fundraiser, not the actual census.

My thoughts? No big deal. they are sending out a survey for information and also asking for donations. What's the biggie? At least they are not using GOVERNMENT funds to target a certain area and gain more information from a certain demographic for more power, much like Sharpton petitioned for and has been granted!!! THAT is wrong! Mail it to everyone - and get back what you get back. You don't beat down the doors of only certain people to answer it!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 2:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• LOL, there is no proof they are doing anything wrong. No proof that they even look alike! Yeah the Dems are trying to push legislature to stop it because they all know they wish they thought of it first. lol Just another lame thing for them to cry about.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I would have to know exactly what is in the envelope

There are 4 sections:

Demographic/Political Profile

Economic Issues

Domestic Issues

National Security/Foreign Policy issues

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 2:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Three House Democrats this week introduced legislation to require mailings marked "census" to clearly state the name and address of the sender, along with an unambiguous disclaimer that the survey is not affiliated with the federal government.

So, Democrats are assuming Americans are stupid and cannot read all of the information (including the PAID FOR BY THE RNC line in the footer)...  Yet another attempt for Democrats to step in and nanny, dictate, and gain control because they assume the American people cannot read and take care of themselves. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Basically, they are doing their jobs by reaching out to the public and ASKING US what we think about current issues and getting a sampling of how the American people feel. I don't see anything wrong with this! It is actually what the CENSUS SHOULD DO!!!

Never anything wrong with getting feedback from your job!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 2:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2010