What is a good age to put your kids in a bunk bed?

My daughters are 19months and 3 1/2. They have to share a room so there isnt much space when you have two beds in there. I really want to buy them bunk beds. Of course they would have a rail so they wont fall out of bed. My oldest would be the one sleeping on top. I was thinking about moving them in July when my youngest is 2 and the oldest will be almost 4. My DH says thats too soon. Do you think I should wait or is that an ok age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i personally would want to see if the child could go up & down the latter.. maybe a trundle bed would be better..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I put all 3 of my kids in Queen size beds the week they started walking, no rail, no nothing. As far as bunk beds, I always tried to make sure the older kid was on top during sleepovers and such but overall I just put the kids to bed and went to bed myself. I never saw any sense in worrying over whether or not they would fall out of bed. The kids are little, they could both sleep in the bottom bed for awhile longer.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Wait until the youngest is at least 6. Bunkbeds are not recommended for children under 6.
    Anonymous

• My granddaughter (nearly 5) does well on the top bunk. It has rails all the way around and she sleeps with her head opposite the ladder.
    Anonymous

• I'm kind of wondering the same thing for my boys down the road. I would love to get them bunk beds but I'm not sure what is the appropriate age. I definitely would use the rail. I think by age 4-5 most kids should be able to handle sleeping on a top bunk unless you have a child who moves a lot in their sleep, sleep-walks, or has a habit of getting out of bed multiple times at night. I wouldn't want mine trying to climb out in the middle of the night and fall.
    butterflyblu

Answer by butterflyblu at 7:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2010