Green Wackos:Women Should Be Stay At Home Moms?

Elisabeth Badinter, a leading French feminist, has warned the green movement is threatening decades of improvements in gender equality by forcing women to give up their jobs and become earth mothers.

Mrs Badinter claims a “holy reactionary alliance” of green politicians, breast-feeding militants, “back to nature” feminists and child psychologists is turning Frenchwomen into slaves to green “fads” like re-usable nappies and organic food.

In her new book, Conflit, la Femme et la Mere (Conflict, the Woman and the Mother), Mrs Badinter contends that this politically correct cabal is burdening mothers with intolerable guilt unless they stay at home and breast-feed for as long as possible.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7206627/French-feminist-warns-green-movement-forcing-women-to-stay-at-home.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, the most successful breastfeeders I've known were NOT stay at home moms. So her hypothesis fails.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think there may be some validity to it as in there seems to be a big movement lately that puts a lot of work on a Mother and would make it difficult to " do it all". I am not as worried about women not being able to work outside the home as the burden to be the perfect Mother really making a lot of Moms feel inadequate. There are other movements, that I consider to be male dominated, that do not appear to be in the best interest of women, but rather in the best interest of men- "quiver-full" comes to mind as well as anything religiously based that condemns divorce under any circumstance as well as ones that consider women who do not stay home full time as being dishonorable per the bible. I also do not fully understand the submissive wife movement- its seems dangerous to women in my mind-but maybe its because I can not get a handle on it.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Many women breastfeed, use cloth diapers, and do lots of other things because they are BEST for their child all while WORKING so her hypothesis is extremely flawed. What an idiot.
    Anonymous

• really, ok we do live america , right?? this is an individual choice.. as for me I work because i have to not cause I want to..
    & what about single moms? is this lady going to pay their bills/rent?
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I was raised by a single mom who for all intents and purposes was a feminist who never relied on a man for anything. She went to college, got a degree, good paying job, no child support, and never bothered with court with my dad who was MIA. I grew up knowing I was raised by a confident strong woman. I however, chose to stay home with my kids but am also educated and can and would support myself if I had to. I dont see a problem either way, working or staying home. I think women need to decide for themselves whats right and not depend on anyone to tell them what to do. Think independantly and stop worrying what anyone says.

Answer by gemgem at 2:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• http://www.gotquestions.org/women-work.html

The Bible nowhere forbids a woman from working outside the home. However, the Bible does teach what a woman’s priorities are to be. If working outside the home causes a woman to neglect her children and husband, then it is wrong for that woman to work outside the home.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• What about wacko Dr. Sears and his advice for mothers to be the best parent they can be by practicing attachment parenting? Is he not suggesting that women stay out of the work force? Of course he is and so did everyone before him that founded and added to attachment theory.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I do think the Green Movement is "guilting" a lot of mothers. There are some women who have issues with BF and have to formula feed, they are made into monsters and made to feel like they are harming their children. I was a BF mom and I can tell you I feel bad for them when people say stupid stuff. So I agree the Green movement is making women rethink of their way of raising children. More women are baby wearers, non paci users, organic food feeders, cloth diaper users, etc. etc. because they have this guilt pushed on them. The whole "you are harming your child's future by polluting with diapers". I think that women should go back to the nuclear family. I think that women should (if they could) stay home at least for the first year. I plan if we get blessed with another soon to not go to work for a very long time.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• "that I consider to be male dominated, that do not appear to be in the best interest of women, but rather in the best interest of men- "quiver-full""

That's a good one. Let's face it, we still live in a male-dominated world.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Guilt comes from within. Blame is external.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2010