When does a baby being breech become concerning?

I'm 24 weeks pregnant now. When I had my ultrasound done 5 weeks ago, the baby was breech. I am quite sure she still is (this is my third, I have a fair idea of what I'm feeling). I have another ultrasound scheduled for 28 weeks (they couldn't get good pictures of her respiratory system because of positioning).

I know that there is still plenty of time for baby girl to flip, but the hormones are kicking in.

When do doctors start being concerned that a baby is breech? I really don't want a c-section. I'd like an idea of how much longer I have before I actually need to worry about my doc bringing up scheduling her birth.

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 2:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Pre & early labor contractions are known to help babies turn vertex.
    There are several things you can do if you get closer to the end of pregnancy and are concerned about positioning.
    But it sounds like you will want to hire a different care provider if you want to avoid an unnecessary cesarean.
    Choose someone that can help you to have a safer delivery.
    If there is an emergency, a cesarean is always an option. But no need to choose that route unnecessarily.
    Lots of women have vaginal breech deliveries, it's very common throughout the world~ BUT they are not usually attended by (American) obstetricians.
    You will want to hire someone who can help you with the safest path possible.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• m son was like this till 36 weeks . i wouldn't stress about it at all .
    clark.s.mommy

Answer by clark.s.mommy at 2:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• most babies don't turn until around 30 weeks i think. and lots of babies turn right before or even during labor =)

i definitely wouldn't be worried at 24 weeks ;)

i know what you mean though, it's hard not to worry. i'm very much against unnecessary c-sections, and i think breech is a bogus reason for one, other than it's almost impossible to find someone to attend a breech birth. =(
    Anonymous

• my OB actually will turn the baby from the outside of your belly with her hands if baby is breech.....its not comfortable but most of the time works.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 2:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    my OB actually will turn the baby from the outside of your belly with her hands if baby is breech.....its not comfortable but most of the time works.

an external version is an option, and some providers are more successful than others somehow. but lots of times the baby will turn back. but i really don't think you should worry until well past 35 weeks. :)
    Anonymous

• baby boy was breech just 10 days before i went into labor, but then i had a kidney stone right after that ultrasound, so they did an ultrasound on my kidney and saw he had turned just in time for me to go into labor a few days later.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Babies can flip at any time. My oldest turned at 38 weeks.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• "it's almost impossible to find someone to attend a breech birth."

You will have better luck with midwifery care. But older OBs should have more experience and training will vaginal breech, too.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Not till the birth process is on going. You have plenty of time for baby to turn
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• i wouldnt worry, my son was breech up till 31 weeks and then he was sideways up till the day i gave birth.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 4:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2010