16 month old weighs 20 lbs - need advice

So my daughter will be 16 months old in a couple days.
We went for her 15 month check up/shots (she was sick, thats why it took us so long until we got her shots.)
and she still weighs 20lbs. She is 30 inchs long though.
Her sister who is 7 is the same way - tall and skinny.
They get it from my brother and father who are tall bean poles.
She eats - but she hates meats and fatty foods - she'd rather eat bananas and grapes and such then to eat chips or anything like that.

And i'm just wondering if your kids were/are the same way - and did you listen to the doctor's when they said feed your child butter in everything he/she eats? I just think that's gross... but the doctor has told me to do that.
He also said pedisure and feed her candy bars.

I don't want my child becoming obese like me - so why encourage her to eat unhealthy - when she loves healthy food? what would u do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Now, I am no doctor, but every child I have ever known who was put on a higher fat diet because they were thin when they were little has ended up with weight issues when they were older. However, she does need some fats for brain developement.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 2:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• At 16 months my kids were 18.5 pounds, 19.5 pounds, and 20.5 pounds. They are all tall and thin, and they followed their individual growth curves staying on the lower end for weight and the higher end for height. My doctor never recommended I start feeding them more butter or other fat, and definitely not candy bars. I think you'd feel better if you met with a dietitian.

Anonymous

• My son is 22 months and weighs 24 pounds. He is healthy and eats a healthy diet, he's just really skinny. His doctor is not at all concerned about it.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• She sounds normal to me. My niece has always been a twig, but that is her genetics. I don't know why drs compare children to other children, when they should be comparing them to their families. If she is eating healthy.......just keep it up. Butter is full of trans fat, you do not want to be filling your child's arteries with that.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My 16 month old daughter is 21 lbs and 14oz. and her daddy is 6' 2". all kids grow at a different weight rate. I think a smart doctor would never tell anyone to feed their 16 month old candy bars to fatten them up. I think your child is growing just fine. I would only worry if she starts losing weight.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Feed her what she wants. Forget the candy bars and butter. What kind of Dr, is he/she. As long as she is happy and healthy let her be.
    Anonymous

• I can't remember what my daughter weighed at 16 months, but at 12 months she was 16 lbs and at 2 years old she was 22 lbs. Her pediatrician had me feeding her extra fats for a while, not just butter, but olive oil, avacado, I think maybe whole milk yogurt, she wrote a list for me but I can't remember most of it. Anyway, it did nothing my daughter didn't gain any weight and the doctor decided it was genetic and nothing to be concerned about. I'm thankful for the doctor I have (she's a family friend) I had to see a different doctor for one of my daughter's appointments and I felt like he was really harrassing me about her weight. She's not even really that small, I can think of several other little girls the same size as my daughter and it's not like I know that many.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Both of my girls (12Y and almost 3Y) are tiny little things. They were both 20 lbs at 18 months old.

My 12YO finally got up to 40 lbs in kindergarten. She wore size 4T/5 in kinder, and didn't move from her toddler car seat until she was 6. She's now 12yo, about 5 ft tall, and weighs about 85 lbs. She eats like a horse!

My youngest (almost 3Y) is about 30 lbs and still wears 2T clothes. She's a more picky eater. She only eats meat when I can sneak it in, but loves fruits and veggies.

When my oldest was little, the docs told me that she is on her own growth curve. As long as she doesn't suddenly lose weight or gain a bunch without getting any taller , let her be. She's just petite.

Hope that helps ease your concerns. =0)
    sjjeaster

Answer by sjjeaster at 5:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My son is 15 months and 20 lbs, but he's running right along where his older brother was so I don't worry at all. He's not losing weight, he's just thin - and the smaller he stays, the younger he looks which is okay with me! Makes it that much easier to snuggle for longer. My 10 year old son was not quite 20 lbs at 15 months and he's still at the very lowest point on the weight chart - he's very healthy, it's just the way he is. My brother is 34 years old, 6' and just finally reached a 30" waist - it just runs in the family.
    Make sure she is getting some healthy fats (my son eats eggs, peanut butter and olive oil on pasta) but don't overdo it. Just enjoy the fact that it's still easy to pick her up!

Answer by missanc at 6:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I have a friend who has a 15 month old daughter who is barely 20 lbs. She is perfectly healthy and even advanced in her language skills. Some children are smaller and there is nothing wrong with that. There is no need to feed them butter or fatty foods. That is detrimental I think. Just keep offering her a variety of healthy foods. My son loves fruit and he's not underweight at all. Has she been consistently growing since birth? If so then I wouldn't worry at all. The only cause for concern would be if she's just stopped gaining altogether or lost weight. Otherwise I'm sure she's fine.
    butterflyblu

Answer by butterflyblu at 7:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2010