How do you handle your child being a monkey dare devil?

My 20 month ds is a monkey dare devil climbing on everything, the pellet stove the back of the couchs the kitchen table pushing chairs over to climb up on the cabnets.....Nothing is helping except to distract him from this behavior, but he is back at it in a few minutes....When u call him a monkey he will actually make monkey noises...lol
how do you handle your little monkey dare devils?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh boy if you figure it out let me know will ya!!! LOL! My son is 18 months and he climbs everything he can. He will bring his larger toys over to the furniture to use to help him scale it. I just keep a close eye on him and try to bring him to places where he is safe to climb (like at the park). I hope he out grows it soon! (though your 20 month old is giving me little hope for that fantasy!)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My 16 month old daughter does the same thing. she'll stand on top of toys to get what she wants or stand in her bottom dresser jour to reach something on her dresser. she hasn't started to much moving stuff so she can climb up and get on other stuff but she can climb up one of those rolling suitcases like a money. She likes to try to climb up my leg to to get to me. Probably in a few months she'll be doing more climbing. good luck
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I monkey proofed the best I could, tried to stay vigilant and crossed my fingers A LOT! My boys both survived being wild toddlers and are now 10 and 15-one is a downhill ski racer, one is a competitive freestyler-they never outgrow their love of danger, they just learn to channel it better! I still on any given day, can look out the window and see one of them standing on the bike seat flying down the hill- luckily they wear helmets. They both have guardian angels because so far, each has come through things pretty well.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• OMG my son is 17mo. and he climbs on EVERYTHING! Sometimes it seems he has no fear! What I've been doing is only stepping in when he could get seriously hurt.. My fiance keeps telling me, "Congratulations.. you have a boy. They will get hurt, it's part of boys growing up.." I figure if he falls he falls... maybe he won't do it again. However, if it's something he could die from get a concussion, or broken bone I for sure step in. Zarek's had his share of bruises (not as many as many toddler boys I know) but he learns fast when he hurts himself not to do it again. When he does hurt himself, I for sure pick him up and cuddle him though.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 6:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Oh lord there's nothing you can do but baby proof the best you can and hope to god you don't have to make a mad dash to the ER that night. Lol.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there's anything you can do but take deep breaths and hope the heart attack waits another day. At around 20 months, my son climbed our bookshelf in the living room while I was in the bathroom. When I came out and rushed to get him down, he sprung off the bookshelf onto the couch laughing like a nut the whole way down. When my heart started beating again, I realized he'd found the only thing I couldn't remove from the room and that I'd lost the battle of safety vs monkey.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 6:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2010