potty training...

my dd is 20 months old, and has been showing interest in the potty for quiet a while now..lately she's been saying potty and we've been catching what she does before she goes...so we've been sitting her on the potty throughout the day, and she just laughs and gets back off...but at the same time any time she pees she'll say "pee-pee" and pull her diaper off....first time mom, so i'm not quiet sure what to do here...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry cant really help you, my DD is 27 months old and isn't potty trained. She showed interest in the potty probably right around the age of your DD and so we bougth her a potty and she even peed in it twice but then she just stopped wanting to use it, so I am not going to force her. what I am doing is taking her with me to the bathroom to show her what "big girls" do in the potty and I will ask her if she wants to use it. if so good, if not then no biggy. i think for us we will wait until she gets closer to the age of 3 to really begin "training".
    Anonymous

• I agree with waiting until age 3. I don't know why people think they should be potty trained at age 2.
    Anonymous

• My 1st trained at that age. And my 17 month old is now doing what your daughter is doing... the ONLY thing that is keeping me from putting her in undies and hunkering down for a few days of puddle clean-up (that's what potty training was for us with my first) is that my little one is in someone else's care 3 days a week and I don't have a good stretch where I can stay home with her a few days in a row until a month from now. At that point, I will put her in underwear and a shirt, keep the potty close by, remind her that if she needs to pee pee or poop she should put it in the potty... and then wait for an accident to start. I'll watch her closely and move her quickly onto the potty so she can finish there (that way, you're not just sitting there waiting for something to happen). Lots of praise if even a little makes it in. If you do go cold-turkey like this, you have to be consistent (no diapers except for bedtime). GL!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Here's an interesting read about the age of potty training... it's a very recent phenomenon to fear "pushing" kids before they're "ready"... Do what you wish, but we were very happy with our choice to train our daughter on the earlier side. No psychological trauma.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirsten-dirksen/who-decides-when-to-potty_b_265227.html
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• op here:

she wears big girl panties at night..and she doesnt pee at all throughout the night..sorry forgot to put that..
    Anonymous

• It should take no time, then. She's absolutely physically ready, that much is clear. She should have no trouble mastering this new thing... it just doesn't have to be that big of a deal! People make it out to be thing huge scary thing. Just show her what you expect her to do, deal with a few messes (calmly, of course), and she'll get it! In some ways it's like learning to use a spoon to self-feed!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my DD started training at 9 mo. to a year old. As soon as she started showing interest I started working with her. IF she pottied in the potty great and we made a big big deal out of it!! and if she pottied in her diaper or training pants we took her to the potty and dumped the poo and showed her that is where it goes (I say poo because it is kinda hard to dump pee in the potty once it is in the diaper or pant). you have to keep with it and praise!!! always praise!!! if you are negative about it that is all they will get from it. . . and they won't want to train then. . . once my DD went a full week on the potty we did a "I'm a big girl now" party!!! GL
    Anonymous

• well she is definately interested. praise her when she takes off the wet diaper and tell her how yucky the diaper but do the pouty face but you forgot the potty. peepee in the potty and no more yuck diaper. just kee doing this alon with having her sit at good times she will get it
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 4:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2010