What age would you put a child in a toddler bed?

My son is 26 months old. I have been arguing with DH over whether to put the toddler rails on his bed. I think we should. He says no. What age is appropriate to put your child into a toddler bed?

proudmama1207

Asked by proudmama1207 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm all for waiting until your toddler lets you know it's time. If he's trying to climb in and out of the crib then it's time. My son decided just a week ago that cribs were totally yesterday and just screamed every single time I put him in it, so off the crib rails came. If you try before they're ready then it becomes a huge big ordeal especially since you have to try a million and three tiems to get the kid to actually stay in the bed, why put yourself through that if you don't have to? My son (who's 19 monthes old btw) just went to bed after I took of the railing there was no forcing him to stay in his bed or him crying at a babygate in his bedroom door. There's been ONE incident where he came out of the bed right after I had put him down for the night, I walked him back to bed tucked him in again and said good night and that was that.
    Anonymous

• when they try to climb out of the crib. or two whichever comes first.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 4:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I say not before 2 unless they crawl out. I moved my daughter at 19 months, and it was terrible. I'm waiting longer with my twins. They are 2 1/2 and still in cribs.
    Anonymous

• Every kid is different. We had to transition our 1st son's crib into a toddler bed before he even turned one because he was climbing over the railing and falling!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 4:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My son tries to climb out but the bed is on the lowest setting so he can't quite make it out. When he is playing in his room, he wants to climb in his bed but he can't because it still has the crib side on it. He literally tries to climb in. That is why I want him to have the toddler rail on it, so he can get in and out by himself. I don't think it will be a problem with him getting out of bed.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• moved ds out at 15 months, did fine. would have dd out of the crib, but she's not walking yet, and she's 18 months. i say once they start walking well is a good time.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my sons theropist suggested we do it now ... he19 months... he slept in it for the first time last night and he did great!! I thought he'd try getting out and stuff but nope he layed there just like he did when we put him to bed in his crib!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I had my son in a toddler bed when he was about 19 months old. He started hating the confinement of the rails so i gave the bed a try and he did wonderfully the first time and ever since! He likes the freedom. And just because he can freely get in and out of bed doesnt mean he does! When he is ready and tired he will climb right into bed and sleep all night, and when he's up in the morning he gets up and reads a book or plays with his train toys. I have found putting the bookshelf in his room and a few of his favorite toys keeps him entertained until he is ready to get out of his room, and by then it's a decent hour lol. Sure there are a few times he'd rather play than sleep, but as long as he isnt complaining I dont worry about bringing him back to bed unless it i very late or a long time. He was never a crib climber btw.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My son is 18 months and I had to set up his a couple weeks ago because he kept trying to climb over the side.
    MommyRuby2008

Answer by MommyRuby2008 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Mine were all sleeping in a toddler bed between 16-18 months old.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2010