can i get some advice from someone who does medical transcription??

I am looking into online programs to get certified so that i can start working from home as a medical transcriber. If you have any advice on the path i should take to reach this goal i would really appreciate it. Or if anyone has any experience in this field i would love to pm you with some questions if that's okay. I can't send my kids to daycare anymore so i need an at home job that is stable and productive. Is this the right path or what do you recommend? I've taken an online medical terminology course and enjoyed it.

fallenruby

Asked by fallenruby at 4:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• I did medical transcription back in 1991 from my home. The only training I had was working at the hospital. I bought my own equipment, went around to Dr's offices and found work. But, again this was back in 1991. I don't think they will be as free to release patient data anymore. There are laws about that. If you really want to get a job in transcription, you do not need any schooling. You took a terminology course... go to MTDaily.com, check out the jobs. Some companies are willing to train themselves. These are all online jobs.
    Anonymous

• If you want to work for a transcription company you will need training. I was an Operations Manager for a Medical Transcription company . Feel free to send me any questions that you may have.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 10:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My mom works as a medical transcriber and the only thing i would be concerned about it the fact that they are phasing out this job by having doctors switch over to a phone-dictation system, completely eliminating the need for the job. My mom is hoping that they won't get switched over until after she retires...but it's not looking good...they have already begun to do so. This job, from what I understand, has a pretty bleak outlook.
    me0304

Answer by me0304 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 22, 2010