How do you feel about finding a babysitter off craigslist?

Would you ever use a site like craigslist to find a babysitter for you child? if so what precautions would you take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I wouldn't, because you really have no clue about them, the best way to find a good sitter is through other people, and I would run a background check on anybody I ever hired.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• NOT a good idea.

Not safe for babysitter, not safe for child - you never know who you are finding.
    Go through a babysitting agency where they have registered child minders you can trust.

I have a friend who's cousin replied to a "babysitter wanted" add on craigslist - she ended up meeting up with them and unfortunately it was a man who ended up killing her - it's a very very sad story and made headlines everywhere a few years ago.
    Anonymous

• I think Anon:29 pretty much said it all!
    Anonymous

• No, I wouldn't, but my mom and husband have been the only people to watch my child to date. Although, I was found through another mom's site to part-time nanny a woman's two children (bringing my child along). I was advertising myself and that isn't my profession, it just sort of happened.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I did. I didn't know there were babysitter services, I live where I know NO ONE and have no family. My job requires a lot of flexibility, and I'm home most of the time, so daycare wouldn't work, since I work late, sometimes over night and not on any kind of a regular schedule.

The precautions I took were I met the sitter several times, had playdates with her kids, met her husband and sat down and talked and talked and talked. I didn't like doing this, but I felt I didn't have much of a choice.

The sitter is pretty good. My 2 year old daughter loves going to her house to play with her kids. She has neglected to change her diaper a couple of times, and she babysits a lot of other kids... thinking I'm going to find someone else in case I need her on a day that she already has 6 kids in her little house.

Good luck.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• i personally wouldn't reply to an add on craigslist. i found my babysitter through a state babysitting service, the state had a program where they would certifiy the babysitter and do background checks, and the state would check up on them and do surprise checks.

now i don't need a babysitter because i work at home, and i'd be happy to give free information to anyone who is interested.
    http://www.thewellnessmommy.com
    svalle

Answer by svalle at 4:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Why do WAHM ALWAYS feel the need to advertise their business, even when the question has NOTHING to do with home based businesses??
    Anonymous

• I personally can't think of a reason for me to, but I'm not big on paying strangers to watch my children.

If I were to choose a person on that (or any other) site then I would make sure they had a license and would call and make sure it's up to date. I would do an interview and if I liked and trusted them enough and thought they agreed to my rules and would be a good person to watch my children then I would head to the last step a background check. I would make them pay the fee for it with a written promise it would be reimbursed upon hiring if they pass. Again I would probably not do all of this unless I absolutely had a good reason like was going into the hospital for surgery and staying overnight while husband was out of town on work and family was busy with work or unable to. For me it'd have to be life and death; I've been in a lot of situations such as working from home and was able to cope.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• That's how we found ours, we actually got 40 responses, interviewed 6 girls, did reference checks AND background checks on all them.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• NO! I would never allow my children to be watched by a non-family member - Period! Which is why I work from home.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2010