Is my newborn constipated?

I have a 1 month old premature newborn. 7 wks early. I was pumping and giving him breast milk w/bottle plus supp. with similac neosure. My milk supply has dropped, plus his appatite has grown. I am not able to give him as much breast milk as I was. Mostly he is getting formula now. He is gassy, fusses a lot. Several times a day he turns bright red, strains and SCREAMS, cries for a long time. He hasn't pooped since yesterday morning. My mom is giving me a hard time because she thinks he is constipated and expects me to somehow "fix it". I have no idea how.
And for those who strongly believe everyone should breast feed only... I have talked to a consultant on the phone. My supply is down because I'm under an extrememe ammount of stress and health problems. I'm doing all I can, sometimes it's just not possible. Please don't bring it up.

FroggyFeet

Asked by FroggyFeet at 4:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get the tea for yourself mothers milk it'llboost your supply and pumpevery few hours
    i have twin boys i bf and supplemented for 2.5 mo they ate way more then i could provide
    as for constipation do light exercise like bicycle ride his legs and rub your hands clockwise on his belly, i would dilute his formula up a bit and maybe spoonfeed some cerealand prunes or a bit of juice,but it is thinhe may chokecarefull gooduck

mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:44 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• if it takes longer than two days then you should contact your doctor. i went through a similar situation with my 7 week old son last week and he was fine...went in 24 hrs time. his pediatrician explained that when you transition from breast milk to formula it is normal.
    brooklyns1mama

Answer by brooklyns1mama at 4:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• A switch from breatmilk to formula or from one formula to another can cause constipation and gas pains in a baby. What formula are you using? You may want to try Enfamil Gentlease or a store brands "Gentle" formula which is designed to help gassy babies, it's partially broken down and easier to digest.

You can also try a few infant gas drops in each bottle. Some babies go less, but when he does if it's hard pellets (looks like rabbit poop) then yes it's constipation. Some say NOT to do this but a teaspoon of karo syrup in a bottle can and does help the actual constipation (not the gas though)....my doctor suggested it for my daughter when I had to stop breastfeeding at 3 weeks old and it did help. She is now on our grocery stores Gentle formula and doesn't have gas or constipation any longer.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my daughter had constipation issues from the start (she was also premature) I had to start giving her a little diluted prune juice and did a LOT of tummy time to help her go. Fortunately, she grew out of it. I generally think its the gas, and not the actual constipation that causes the discomfort if it hasn't been a long time. Preemies tend to have more trouble 'moving it along' than traditional constipation issues (hard stool, etc)
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 6:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my premie went through a period where she could not poop w/o a glycerine suppository (you just break off a liitle piece of a pediatric one) it is what the NICU nurses and her regular Dr recommended. I basically just stimulates the rectum a little and provides some lubrication. I would use it if it had been over 24 hrs and she seemed uncomfortable.
    Talk to your Dr about this, I think it is prbably way beter than introducing something like juice or karo syrup into their immature gut.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It does sound like reaction to the formula. This is such a tough spot to be in.

There are ways to bring your supply up, and please drop by the breastfeeding moms group for help with that *if you want.* Or feel free to message me directly (though I have to say that on weekends it's harder for me to respond due to my work schedule).

And I just want to tell you that I LOVE your screen name. You need a little froggy avatar.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• DO NOT give him the syrup!!! My ped is very against it.. their little bodies can't handle it this early!!! My dd was constipated at about 8 weeks.. we gave her a couple ounces of diluted apple juice and it worked like a charm! just make sure its very diluted because he's so young. my dd is now 6 months and LOVES juice and we give it to her about twice a week still and she hasn't had constipation issues since :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 13, 2010