How can I convince my 14 yr old daughter she doesn't really want to date a near 19 yr old! (esp. cuz I won't let her)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh boy, you have an adventurous one huh? I can imagine she feels flattered that an older guy is interested in her, BUT she needs to realize that a 19 year old interested in a 14 year old is not good boyfriend material! I don't know the guy, but my gut says loser. I understand that love at first sight happens and love knows no age, etc... but if he really loved her- he could wait until the 5 year age difference was not such a big deal. Bottom line- I agree- don't let her!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Tell her that a 19 year old that is interested in a girl her age has something wrong, maybe a mental defect. That is not right. Tell her it may seem cool but it is gross.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my daughter is only 10, but my answer is to have her watch Maury!! it has shown her the worst things to happen to girls that age. i have been down that road myself and i tell it wasn't good. the best thing always is to be open and straight forward. i hope i have helped. i have funny ways to not let it happen but, they are frowned upon(as in you couldn't REALLY do them...LOL)
    marianance

Answer by marianance at 4:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• In a lot of states its illegal!! He's 19, he's of legal age and there is a 5 yr difference in age too. Just not right.
    It is easy to say don't let her, but good luck on getting her to hear reason.
    Anonymous

• My parents had a rule, no dating anyone who was out of high school. At 14, usually 17 was the limit. But I did meet a nice senior who was 18 and they approved of him. He was still in high school with me.

The others are right: In some states it's illegal. And any boy that age wanting to date a 14 year old is either mentally ill or sicko.
    Anonymous

• Um she obviously DOES have that desire. However, you don't have to let her. I was 15 when I dated a 19 year old. He was a good guy. We never went past kissing. He wouldn't let it get that far. My parents really liked him, and he was decent and respectable. I'm not saying its ok for every situation, but basically she may hate you for not letting her date him. Its your call not to let her.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• ALL a 19 year old wants from a 14 year old is sex. I learned this from experience. I'm sure in your state that's statutory rape and he could go to jail.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• have you asked her why the girls his own age don't like him? please let us know if you convince her to not like him!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Sit them both down with a copy of statutory rape laws for your state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Because you can send that 19 year old boy to jail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2010