People say that vaccination makers are just fat cats scrwing with peoples bodies and making billions - ugh, it doesn't cost me ANYTHING to get my kids vaccinated so how does that work...??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe YOU aren't paying for it directly out of your pocket, but someone somewhere is. Insurance. Those "free" vaccines you get at the health clinic? Paid for by tax dollars. There ya go.
    Anonymous

• Just b/c you don't pay for it personally doesn't mean that they aren't being paid for. If you have ins that you pay for then they cover it. If you have state ins then it is paid for by the rest of us.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• well if you are on Pa that just means someone else is paying for it and the Parents who do pay for it are paying for your kids too
    Trust me they are not giving away anything they are making proffit
    I am not PA bashing either just stating facts as I see them
    Anonymous

• I don't believe everyone in the industry is dishonest, but I do believe they are motivated to make business for themselves, just like every other industry. I think it naive to assume that the vaccine industry has purely humanitarian intentions, any more than your local taco bell does. It would be naive to assume that those capitalistic intentions do not sometimes conflict with doing what's in the best interest of the client. I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I will not let any capitalistic industry tell me what is safe for my child without doing my own research. Incidentally, doctors who speak out against vaccines aren't gaining anything for it personally, as opposed to doctors who support vaccines. That's not to say supportive doctors are liars, it just means as long as there may be a conflict of interest for personal gain, I'm going to be the one who makes the decision.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• The vaccines WERE paid for. Big pharma doesn't give them out for free. It's actually a HUGE money maker for them. Insurance companies, taxes and the state pay for them. And some people do pay a portion out of pocket.
    Anonymous

• I have learned not to get vaccines at the doctor's office. They charge a FORTUNE. I went over my $250/year limit when my DD was an infant, just because of the damn vaccines. I pay $10 at the county clinic. I thank my DD's DOCTOR for TELLING ME to go that route. He KNOWS what a rip off they are.

Anonymous

• This has got to be the dumbest question i ever read on here, nothing in life is free, just because you dont pay out of pocket for it doesnt mean that the farmaceutical industry didnt make any money.
    Anonymous

• Before our insurance went into affect our boys had to have shots before school started. I always paid out of pocket for all of their checkups etc but when it came time to pay for the vaccines they didn't charge me... We weren't low income, didn't qualify for state ins, and still got them for free... I was very confused but didn't question it.. We pay for our ins now and haven't had to get any new vaccines but I'm sure with ins it will be covered, but in the end we're paying for it...

Like the other posters said, someone always ends up paying for it, you just don't see it...

MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• the government pays a lot of $ for vaccinations. besides paying fully for them for people on pa, they have subsidy programs all over the country as well. if you have insurance, they pay...if you have insurance, that is actually you paying, it is a benefit from your employer.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Are you freaking serious with this question???? You may not be paying out of pocket! I suppose you think everything is for free and the clouds drop down milkshakes and candy bars too! I takes a real naive person to think that vaccine are for free! Or any medication/drug for that matter!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 13, 2010