How do you discipline a sixteen year old, when he doesn't listen?

My son is having a lot of trouble at school. He is on the verge of getting kicked out. My son complains that school is boring, "I know more than the teachers.", and "They expect me to act like an adult, yet they treat me like a 4 year old." The problem is that my son doesn't have any respect for any adult. I need to know how to make my son understand the seriousness of this.

jakeandkatesmom

Asked by jakeandkatesmom at 5:23 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You need to let him suffer some real consequences for his behavior. Consequences teach lessons much better than trying to talk or argue. If you are ready for a real change take a Love & Logic parenting class or check out some Love & Logic books, CDs, or DVDs from the library.
    Anonymous

• i personally dropped out of HS at 16. it just wasnt for me. I went and got my GED and now have my associates degree and am starting for my bachelors. make sure he knows that if he doesnt go to school, and graduate college, hes not going to get a good job and hes going to be broke. if you really want to try and discipline him, take something away until he does better. make sure u reward him when he does good.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• You can file a FINS on him. At least that's what it's called here if he's not going to school. It's a family in need of services. The courts intercede . I know that might seem extreme but if you truly care and don't know what else to do, I'd do that.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Tell him if he gets kicked out of school you will send him to boot camp and see if he likes that better
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• If he is bored with HS and it's just not working, ask the school if he can take courses at the local community college. Some kids actually do very well in a more unstructured environment where most of the learning is done on the student's own time.
    Anonymous

• Ground him.

Oh and really, the community college option, at least here, is for GOOD STUDENTS with a 3.0 or better GPA. Otherwise every lazy kid would just opt over to going to college classes. Geez.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• all good suggestions.. boot camp... to college.. the whole spectrum has been said other than -- i teach --- some teachers do what he described. put an audio recorder in his bookbag (done often in prek when you have doubts about what your kid tells you is happening because they are so young) tell your ds to prove to you that what he says is true with it. because if you go in to observe, they will act differently. maybe he is telling the truth. also why does he have no respect for any adult... is that just like his teenage self... i was rebellious but i always had respect for someone. maybe your son would do well in some sort of teenage group therapy, where he could hear that a lot of other kids feel like him but still arent acting that way. best of luck to you.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• my 16 boy is dating a girl that cutter and he want to help herr and her so confuse who too help herr and her dosnot now red is emails how can i help himm
    carenjlane

Answer by carenjlane at 5:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• my son is actually very smart. He was reading at a college level when he was in sixth grade. He got straight A's until ninth grade. He can answer almost any question asked of him. He has a big problem sitting still, he gets his work done in the first 30 mins of class, and then hes bored out of his mind. His problem is he was spoiled. As a single mother, I tried to make up for my kids lack of a father. I've realized the mistakes I've made, I'm just not sure how to fix them. He isn't a bad kid, just rebellious.
    jakeandkatesmom

Answer by jakeandkatesmom at 8:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2010