library books -- need to vent

Although it's irritating when you get a book that has been dog-earred (by someone too lazy to use a bookmark), it's even worse when you get a smelly book!

I'm currently reading a book that reeks of smoke and it's the only copy. Plus, I really don't want to purchase it (since the whole idea of the library is to read their books for free!)

I once checked out a book from the library (was on hold for me) and it was a pregnancy book that reeked of smoke! (nice.)

Aside from wearing a mask, anything I can do about the smell? (I'm thinking of spraying it with Febreeze!) :D It's a pretty hefty read -- 500 pages.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• yeah I'd febreeze it

Answer by admckenzie at 5:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I had the same thing happen with a smelly book. It smelled so strongly of smoke that I couldn't even read it..and that was when I was a smoker myself, lol! That's pretty bad! As for the dog-eared thing...I do that! Yep, I'm guilty. I have tons of bookmarks, but I do it out of habit from when I read my own books. I always do it accidentally before I even think about it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I don't know about using febreeze.. I can so relate though, I check out books on a regular basis and this last one is stinky too... If it weren't such a good book I would have taken it back. I think I will bring it to the librarians attention when I return it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• sorry, no help, but I'm a smoker and that's why I buy my books, that way if someone borrows them from me, they know it's gonna smell.
    Anonymous

• hey MrsLeftlane, let us know what the librarians say!! When I had the pregnancy book, I thought about bringing it to their attention too, but was too timid about it at the time.

to the other anon poster (smoker who buys own books), KUDOS to you for being considerate that way! And if you sell them, you can always post that they're from a smoker's home (I always ask that when I buy off of half.com or amazon marketplace.
    Anonymous

• OP you could always join the site www.paperbackswap.com to get the books you want to read and just be sure to add to the requests that you only want books from smoke-free homes.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Charcoal absorbs smoke odor - activated charcoal like you use in aquarium filters, not briquettes like you use in the grill. If you seal the book in plastic with some charcoal and let it sit like that a day or so it might help. Wrap the charcoal in cheesecloth or a coffee filter so it doesn't damage the book.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2010