what do you do when your child pitches a hudge fit?

Mine is in his room with the door closed right now screaming at me at the top of his lungs. I want to pull my hair out.
He was sent to his room for being rude - he is staying in there because of the crazyness going on in there.
What do you do?
Is there anything else I can do?
(he is 6)
UGH

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD doesn't have those fits. When she was younger she'd have tantrums. She'd get sent to a corner till she could act nicely and apologize. Of course every child is different. TO dd asking her to leave our little family circle was a shock to her. For other kids they wouldn't care. You have to alter how you react to the individual child. What would get through to him most? One thing I did when she was a toddler is she told me she didn't love me and I cried and told her I was very hurt. It got through to her that her words really hurt mommies feelings and they were bad to say. Perhaps showing some emotion to him would work?
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• you pull down their pants and spank them
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 6:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• 1st of all relax, do not say nothing to him and ignore him, eventually he will stop throwing the fit. the only thing u should of said was, when you are ready to come out and be calm, and tell me sorry, then i will listen to you.
    Anonymous

• Beat him with a belt. Worked for me.
    Anonymous

• or you could get the wooden spoon out
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 6:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• ignore him until he is calm
    Anonymous

• good lord...I do spank, and I did, but I am not all about doling it with anything other than my hand
    and some how I don't see how that will make the freaking out stop
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Tell him he will not eat dinner tell he calms down ( if he has not ate yet). Or get a boy or bag, and start taking all the things he likes to do ( xbox type tthings) and put them up. Tell him he will get them back when he stops acting like a baby.

Answer by louise2 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I just got the "You don't even care about me!"

lmao
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Spanking if it's reallt bad or else putting him in the bedroom and ignoring him.
    Anonymous