Do you think Firefighters should be allowed to take trucks to run errands on the job?

There was a recent story in Boston about local firefighters using the firetrucks to run errands and get lunch while on shift.

It happens in my town too. When grocery shopping, they come in and grab subs, etc. Most work 24 hours straight on shifts, and when a team runs errands, they all have to go together as a crew. Also, they typically take turns cooking family style meals at the firehouse during shifts, so they'll shop for whatever it is they have that night.

Do you think this is right? or do you think they should be prepared and bring in the groceries they need for their shift?

Some people say it brings them closer to the community by venturing out, others say it wastes costly fuel and could take longer to respond if in a store, etc.

http://wbztv.com/iteam/boston.fire.trucks.2.1480631.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they should plan accordingly and run errands on their own time. I work VERY long hours and don't get time to run errands when I'm on duty. Yes, they are heroes, but that doesn't mean they can take advantage of situations.
    Anonymous

• I have no problem with it at all... They are on duty 24/7 for 2-3 days in a row, they don't have a choice but to grab food etc while on duty. And I'd rather they do it in a fire truck than with their own vehicles, what if they get a call right when they're in the grocery store? Having the truck right there saves time. I'm sorry, anon :12, but "VERY long hours" is not the same as 48 to 72 hours in a row...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• None of us have ever used our place of work for ANYTHING personal EVER right? I could really care less if they did that.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My son is a firefighter. Usually his crew does plan ahead. Sometimes life just happens. When your're working a shift that is 36 on 48 off life gets pretty hectic.. There are times they are on scene for hours and hours.straight. Yeah, They go as a crew because they have to be ready to respond as a crew. Ever been in a restaurant and watched a cop get a call and leave his meal?..happens at the firhouse all the time. How about special night like SuperBowl Sunday ( the most violent day of the year in most cities). They ran calls from Noon until 2300 with less than 2 hours break TOTAL. They need to run an errand..yeah..go for it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• No they bring a bagged meal, or have a designated runner who gets the food and brings it to them. The truck guzzles a lot of gas and personal errands should be ran on their own time.

Anonymous

• "on their own time."

LOLOLOL, that's funny in an ignornat kinda way.
    Anonymous

• If it's part of their job to be on call for days at a time, then it is really not a personal errand, it is work related.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Yah, they should bring bagged meals for 48 hours straight. Them sandwiches are gonna get pretty stale by the end of the shift, dontcha think? Seems to me all of them together with the truck is the best way to do, then if they do get a call, they are all there and ready to go.
    Anonymous

• Well lets see my step father was a fire chief. They would make a run tot he store to stock the kitchen for the 3 day shifts. They would bring the truck just in case they had gotten a call while trying to get food. I mean It's a team they need all the members to go to the fire. I bet you would be pretty PO'd if the Guys took Bobby's camri to get TP cause the last group forgot to restock,pick up some groceries and then your house just so happened to catch fire. I am sure Bobby's camri wouldn't be of much use in putting your fire out would it?
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I have no problem with them bringing the truck to grab groceries or just lunch for that day. When you work a 24 hour shift, sometimes you have to go out on "company time" and I use that term very loosely.

Seriously, there are people that have issue with this?

oook.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 9:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2010