When it comes to age differences...How old is too old...Age gaps?

I am friends with a guy who is 19 years older than I am. We seem to get along well with each other. If it develops into something I wouldn't mind but I don't want to end up getting hurt if it is something he doesn't want in the long run. He has been married 3 times, so he may not want to have this type of relationship anyway. We doo well as friends and I don't want to lose him as a friend. Any advise? What would you think/do? I am mid 40's. He is mid 60's.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• age ain't nothing but a number I think If you love the person than thats what counts.
    marisol254

Answer by marisol254 at 2:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I have had relationships with much older men and my ex husband was 10 years older. They all ended horribly bc men who seek much younger women are seeking women who aren't mature enough to stand up for themselves and will deal with a lot of down talking and parenting and loads of shit. -- Now that's just my experience.

3 failed marriages tells me this individual isn't good at relationships.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My friends parents are like 20 years apart. He is in his 60's and the wife is in her 40's, they are doing well. I would just be iffy about the fact that he has had three wives lol.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think if you find somebody that things seem to workout with, age shouldn't matter.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My husband is 24yrs older than I, we have a horrible marriage. It seems that he just wanted someone younger to have fun with and now he doesn't do anything with me but watch movies. I'm not one to sit in front of the tv every night, I love to be active. We have been married 8yrs, July will be 9. Just make sure you stay friends till you know him really well or you'll be in for a very lonely partnership. I do know of several people (one was my grandmother) that married someone 10+ yrs older than them and they did/are doing wonderful. Their very happy and couldn't ask for a better partner for life. So I guess it can work.
    TowmaGirl

Answer by TowmaGirl at 8:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My father was 13 years older than my mother and they were happily married for almost 49 years until he passed away 5 days before their anniversary.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My guy is 16 years older than I am. I've dated a guy that was 23 years older than I am. I think age does matter, however. If I was 16 and dating a 25 year old it would be different.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my BFF is married to a man 19 yrs her senior,she's 37,he'll be 56 in April.In the beginning she says it was good,but once he hit 55,his health started to go downhill and he's WAY less active.She says he needs Viagra just about everytime they make love and its a major turnoff for her,so they don't do it much.They're slowly becoming more friends than anything else and I can see its starting to wear on her.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think there is a reason he's been married 3 times and you should take that into consideration more than age. TMJ has a point. Many older men cannot stay hard and you are at your sexual peak so if that makes a difference then you need to think long and hard (no pun intended) about it.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• AGE MATTERS. I was involved with a man 19 years older than me and he treated me like one of his kids. I hate it. He did not want to do anything but work, work (he was a farmer). I wanted to continue my school and he totally Forbid me to go there. Needless to say we ended up having a divorced. I will not advice anyone to get involved with such a big gap. I remember all of his friends and I did not have nothing in common except their kids that were about my age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2010