LMBO! You know what WIC told me today!?

First off WIC guidelines here say that a child over the age of 2 is on skim milk. No subs with out a prescription and then the child has to be Failure To Thrive. Well my DD is 2 and underweight but not FTT. the nutritionist told me today to increase he calories. Okay my ped said that to. The WIC lady actually told me to give her syrup, ice cream and butter on all her food! I must have looked at her like she was stupid cause she got testy. I just found it amusing. I mean the ped told me to increase he calories with things like avocados, olive oil and whole grain. Wow. What do you think? Is the nutritionist miss informing people? I mean what if I didn't have a good ped watching her weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I didn't get that the post is about the OP complaining that they won't give her whole milk. What I got from what the OP wrote is that she is dumbfounded that a nutritionist told her to feed her child ice cream, syrup and butter (which is obviously not provided by WIC) instead of giving her HEALTHY OPTIONS to help her child gain weight. Her post has nothing to do with the fact that they don't give whole milk. They give skim milk because it's healthier and then IRONICALLY tell the OP to feed her child ice cream, butter and syrup which i would NOT consider healthy at all!
    Anonymous

• omg, some peopke are really stupid. On an off note, my BIL had WIC tell him his daughter that was 11 months old and had just taken her first steps a week prior, was to fat to walk (she was in the 90th % of her weight)

Have you tried pediasure? My daughter was on it we got a prescription from her pedi and WIC paid for it, it helped tons!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 8:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think if she's 2 and under weight I wouldn't bother watching what she's eats so much as just making sure she is eating... If she were over weight then I would but being that young they are usually open to eating anything they see you eat.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Whatever works...
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• wow. that's disgusting.
    no wonder kids/adults who are overweight continues to rise.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• This is totally not trying to be mean but can't you just pay money out of your own pocket to buy your child whole milk?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

hahahahhahaha i agree
    Anonymous

• I have to agree with legalmommy on that. Milk doesn't cost that much. I'm on WIC and I can get whatever milk I want. Sometimes we buy a lot of our own milk anyway.
    Anonymous

• A calorie is an energy unit. It may come from oil or sugar or something else. The term "empty calories" is not actually the calories, just that a certain amount of food may contain far more calories than protein. In your daughters case they WANT her to eat more calories, so she is more likely to eat them if they are in butter or ice cream or syrup. As long as you brush her teeth after she eats, I don't see the problem. You don't want to deal with tooth decay.
    Anonymous

• OP: Why would I pay out of pocket for something I get for free? I just add instant breakfast to it once a day(I buy it) and a couple of spoonfuls of the dried 2% milk we get from the food ministry.

I do when we have a little extra buy her a case of pediasure. WIC won't give it to her anymore because underweight is no longer a valid prescription for it. She must be FTT
    Anonymous