Christian/Catholic funeral songs

what are some suggestions for good funeral songs for Catholic funeral?

I was discussing this with my husband the other day. We talked about what we want. I realized, other than Here I am Lord I don't know what I would like sung at my funeral. Maybe, Battle Hymn of Republic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholic churches only allow sacred music at funerals. If you want secular music it must be done at the funeral home or cemetary.
    Anonymous

• and your suggestion is?
    Anonymous

• Let them pick from what the organist knows how to play.
    Anonymous

• from my experience- the catholic funerals I've been to have been planned by the priest- it's a cookie cutter ceremony and they just put your loved one's name into it. If you'd like something played plan it for the funeral home during the wake- I personally want something up beat...maybe play my favorite comedy movie or something!
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 12:04 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• szeimetz, you need to find another catholic chuch. I have been to more Catholic funerals than I can remember and planned a few of them with my family. I assure you they are not cookie cutter and the family plans them not the priest unless the priest is asked to plan them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Some songs I've heard at Catholic funerals - "On Eagle's Wings" "Be Not Afraid" "Eye Has Not Seen" "My Soul in Stillness Waits" "We Will Rise Again" "Keep in Mind" "Amazing Grace" "How Great Thou Art" "Ave Maria" "I Know My Redeemer LIves" (from Handle's Messiah), Sing With All the Saints in Glory (t the tune of Beethoven’s Hymn To Joy). I like "Shepherd Me, O God" ("Shepherd me O God beyond my wants, beyond my needs from death into life") as a response song.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• "Shepherd Me, O God" - That one is very pretty. You can always ask your Priest what the protocol is :-)
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 7:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2010