This isn't fair! What would you do?

A friend of ours from our church became homeless awhile ago and she started to stay at the mission. We let her come use our shower and our stove about once a week. One time she invited some of the druggies she is "ministering" to our house to use our phone and computer for something. One of the ladies was clearly using drugs and been kicked out of a rehab program and was looking for another so she wouldn't go back to prison. After they left we explained to our church friend she can't be bringing people to our house. She just insisted she wouldn't bring anybody really bad to our house. But then today the druggie showed up alone and begged us to let her stay. She finally left after my husband threatened to call the police. Now I have to be terrified that this druggie is going to show up again when my son and I are here alone and my husband is at work. I have to live in fear in my own home!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in About CafeMom

• It is shameful when other people abuse the genrousity of another. I am sorry your friend exposed you to this, but remmeber she was trying to help another less deserving person (perhaps it is this lack of judgement that got your friend in her current situation).
    That said you cannot change the past. I would just make sure your home is secure (i.e. make sure all windows are bolted and doors locked). Just be cautious and GL!
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 8:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I can understand your concern but if she's worried about not going back to jail, she's not going to show up at your house for you to call the police and send her to jail. Keep your guard up but try not to worry about it to much.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• No offense sounds like you need to use better judgement of character. I saw a few red flags about this person just in this post I'm sure there were several. You can't blame the church. YOU let her in YOUR house. Taking accountability is being safe.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• That why you have to use foresight for such situations. It's too bad this has happened.

Anonymous

• OP- I'm not blaming the church. I just thought she was a better person. But maybe being on the streets has changed her.
    Anonymous

• What does your homeless friend have to do with what this "druggie" did?
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• OP- I was just explaining how she ended up thinking she was welcome here. Still, she should have known better then the invite trash to our home.
    Anonymous

• People are responsible for their own actions. Your homeless friend is not responsible for what this "druggie" does no more than you are responsible for what your husband does.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• As a mom, protecting my children, I would NEVER have allowed anyone into my home around my kids unless I knew facts. Why was she homeless etc... I just can't afford to open myself and my kids up to that stuff. My home is sacred and safe. If I help I go to the shelter, I donate $$, community service, etc
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Just keep your doors locked. She can't walk through walls.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2010