Should schools that have a budget surplus receive state aid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I've never heard of a school with a budget surplus, but it doesn't seem right that they should get state aid.
    Anonymous

• 500 districts in New Jersey just had their budgets cut by executive order, and will now have to use their "surplus instead of state aid" so it seems it happens quite a bit. I'm curious to know why they were entitled to that aid in the first place and without the executive order by the governor they'd still be getting it.
    Anonymous

• Budgets are always inflated. I am a teacher, and we have to use up the allotted money to our department so we could get it again next year. It was crazy. Every teacher ordered frivolous things for the classroom, etc, just to spend the money. We should just rollover the money and not need as much the following year....but I guess that is the ethical thing to do. School administrations are corrupt and ass-backwards.

So no, no more state aid till you are deep in the red.
    Anonymous

• Any school that has a surplus should not be eligible for state aid. I believe that state aid should be on an as-needed basis. And if the school needs more than the state can offer, the school needs to hold an ice-cream social or two, and raise the money themselves! Example, our SD has 4 K-3, a 4-5, a 6-8, and a 9-12 bldgs. The kids have fundraisers each year until HS, and then they have fundraisers for specific organizations (band, orchestra, etc.). The funds raised from ANYTHING sold through the school (yearbooks, school spirit wear, class pictures, etc.) goes to the PTO. The PTO's in EACH bldg raise 10's of thousands of $$ each year. But, amazingly, our SD is in the red, and so they put an operating levy on the ballot. After 4 tries, it finally passed with 1, yes, one single vote that came out of nowhere! Now, all that $$ the PTO's have? That has to go to things for the kids in each bldg. And they spend it each yr.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Where do you live? I want to teach there. We have such a budget deficit that I had to give back 2% of my salary last year and had my pay cut by $4,000 this year. I also lost my pay increase for my master degree. And, we have the "education lottery" which is suppose to keep the schools in the black. Our wonderful governor, Bev Perdue, took the lottery proceeds to use in other areas of the state. We have a law that says that can't be done, but she's an Obama democrat and they can do whatever the hell they want - the law be damned.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2010