Should men get paternity leave from work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• ABSOLUTELY! Why should only mom get time to adjust to a new baby? Dad is JUST as important. My DH is taking 2 weeks off. He could take more, but it would be unpaid. That's the bummer.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Yes! If for nothing else but to help mom out! I think it's really important. My husband too 6 weeks off to home with our little one.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 8:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• some companies do give paternity leave, I think the average is 2 weeks.
    When the mom has a csection, I definitely think the father should be able to stay home and help while she's healing.
    I had mine natural, and honestly, I didn't see a point in my husband staying home for 2 weeks.
    Anonymous

• Yes, if they plan to nurse the baby and take care of it, otherwise there is no reason for any leave from work.

Answer by older at 8:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think they should, but not for the entire 6 weeks. Most places are already required to give men some maternity leave when the baby is born. My husband took about about 2 weeks when our son was born...but my husband is also his own boss, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• FMLA states that companies have to give a father "paternity" leave, although its really classified as taking care of a family member with a medical need. The employer must grant FMLA or "paternity" leave if the employee has been full-time and has worked for 12 months. HOWEVER, the employer does NOT have to pay you for paternity or maternity leave for that matter. You can use accumulated sick/vacation time during that period. You also can not use more than (I believe) 12 weeks of FMLA in one calendar year.

My husband took "paternity" leave, but only 2 weeks because he had to use it as vacation time.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 8:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Mine did.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• With pay no.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I week or so, especially if mom is on leave. Someone has to work. Mom is the one who carried for 10 months, delivered, does primary care for the baby; but dad should get time off so he can help out and bond with the baby as well as be a part of the new change in the family.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 9:30 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Most do- and should. It's just not often paid leave. My DH had to use all of his vaccaion but was not allowed to be denied the time even though it was a 'blackout' time of year. (He works retail and DD was born Dec. 27)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2010