What age is appropriate for dating?

Is it the same for a boy as for a girl?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Well, see...this is where my husband and I may disagree. We only have a boy so far, but if we have a daughter...she is going to have a hard time with her dad, lol. He says definitely not until she's 18. I say, for a girl, about 16. For our son, my husband says as young as he wants...I still say 16. It also all depends on the kid. I'll just have to wait until my son is older to decide properly.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• 16 years old
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I started dating at age 14 when I was a freshman in high school. We dated for 2 years. He was 16 and I was his first girlfriend.
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• 16
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 9:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• For my daughter, it will be when she is 17 or 18. Her father wasn't allowed to date until he graduated high school, and I didn't really start dating until I was in college. I want her to focus on her education.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• when they can drive themselves and pay for the date themselves. same for both ages.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• When our boys can drive, pick up their date, and have take a girl out for real. I don't understand how kids can date before that. I feel that if you keep them from having girlfriends, or boyfriends that they're just going to find a way to see each other by sneaking around.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Truly, there should be no dating until young men and young women are mature enough to handle the repsonsibilities of marriage and a family. Dating is for the purpose of selecting a lifetime mate, or at least it used to be. With all the pressure on young people today, it's probably more important than ever that they not date until at least the senior year of high school. They can entertain their friends in home and get to know others in a friendly and protected environment, but I'd be hesitant to let the "date."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• group dates and such 14-15 dates as a serious couple 16-17....unsupervised is a much bigger deal but it depends on my childs maturity
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think it deals a lot with the maturity level of the kid. Not to scare you, but I didn't "date" until I was 16. In 3rd grade I started kissing boys, in 5th we were sneaking off to the woods to make out, in 6th grade and until I could drive I snuck out on a pretty regular basis and, well, the fact that I had a baby in my twenties is a freaking miracle. The funny thing is, I was TAME compared to the girls I went to school with. (I Just asked my sweetheart, If our son had been a girl, when would she be allowed to start dating? and his answer was "25.") I like the idea of group dates at a younger age, having groups over to the house, encouraging relations, but maybe not date kind of stuff. Or maybe it doesn't have to do with dating, maybe it's more about the kind of person it is, boy or girl. Good question!
    Anonymous