Low milk supply...HELP!

After spending a month in NICU, my baby girl has finally made it home and doing wonderful. However, my milk supply hasn't been great. I have put her to breast, but she isn't satisfied. So, I have been pumping but I am only getting about an ounce at a time if that. I have read about fenugreek capsules and mother's milk tea and I have increased my pumping time and frequency. Has anyone ever used either of these to increase their milk supply and if so, did they work. Also, any other advice would be great. I don't want to switch her to formula please help!!

jmlock5683

Asked by jmlock5683 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep doing what you are doing, your supply will increase based on the demand. Also if you can borrow a hospital pump they will get more out and help as well.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• the pumping does not remove too much milk in the beginning so dont give up. pump/feed every two hours. you can pump for about 10 minutes after she feeds. that way your body will think that you need a greater quantity of milk.
    also have oatmeal.. its supposed to be good for the supply.
    i hvent personally had the capsules or the milk tea but i have heard that they do increase the supply and definitely no harm in trying.
    the most important thing is to stay positive and calm. and dont allow people to keep telling you tht ur milk is less.
    congratulations on ur lo and all the best!!!
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I drank the Traditional Medicinals brand Mother's Milk tea and it was a big help. Didn't taste so great, but it worked for me. I too have read oatmeal is also good. Just keep going and your body will begin to produce enough. At a month old, your LO might not be needing more than an ounce or two at a time, so your body may not be that far behind, so to speak. Good luck.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 2003 states: “Many mothers try to boost their milk supply by drinking herbal teas, but the dose cannot be as easily controlled as capsules or tinctures, so the results will be inconsistent. Fenugreek (three capsules three times per day can be taken alone or with blessed thistle (three capsules three times per day). Experience indicates that it takes 24-72 hours to see an increase in milk supply once the herbs are started in the correct doses. Fenugreek is listed in the US as a Generally Recognized as Safe herbal.” More info at: Herbal remedies for increasing milk supply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Probably the best way to increase supply is to breastfeed more frequently, spend as much time skin to skin with baby on your bare chest, and use breast compression when she nurses. Also learn to pump more effectively: Maximizing Milk with Hands on Pumping

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• nurse on demand- pump for 10 minutes afterwards- keep her close to you (just having her in the same room seeing her and hearing her will help your body realize baby=milk)- eat plenty (if you're stressed and not eating enough you wont make as much milk)- relax! if you're stressed out period your body wont relax enough to do what mother nature has allowed women to do for years- get rest (along with making sure you eat you need to get your rest)- take a prenatal- you should be taking some kind of multivitamin being youre breast feeding....- If you're really worried contact a lactation consultant through the hospital or even WIC (some WIC offices have lactaion support people).
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 12:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Nurse on demand, as often as possible. If baby seems fussy or hungry after, then just nurse again. Yes, even if you just finished. THIS will signal production. Fussiness at breast sends a signal. Keep on nursing, and as long as you are changing 6-8 diapers a day, and baby is gaining, or not losing, it should be fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I used fenugreek and found they increased my milk supply. Another thing to consider is that your milk may not let down to a pump! Not all women do. I was in the same boat for six weeks, my daughter was a preemie, and it probably took about six weeks before she exclusively breastfed...before that, I would nurse, give her expressed breast milk, then pump. It was exhausting but well worth the effort. She's not had a bottle of EBM since Chrismas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2010