Should Christianity stop recruiting until it can agree on one set of rules for all Christians?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christianity isn't a religion. There are many religions whose people claim or name themselves Christians.
    Anonymous

• different denominations and even different churches in the same denomination, and then of their members, agree on different things. if a person reads their bible they may come to somewhat different conclusions. people are going to preach what they know and/or think, one way or the other. some are right, others not so right.
    let the catholics, JWs, mormons, baptists, methodists, presbeterians, lutherans, and mainstream christians (and whatever else) do their own thing. someone will get it right eventually. or most of it. some things dont matter as much when it comes to salvation. some things are opinion.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• people are going to preach what they know and/or think, one way or the other. some are right, others not so right.

And if salvation is so important, isn't it an evil act to mislead people with the "not so right"? If you can't agree on which is right, what business do you have trying to convince more people to join up?
    Anonymous

• Christianity is the belief in Christ as the savior. "recruitment" is designed to "save souls from hell". I see your point though because there are many different types of Christians. For example, a person who practices magic is told she will go to hell because its against the bible, but what if she believes in Christ as her savior just not all the words of the bible? There are so many different variations of Christianity and some Christians accuse other groups of Christians for being wrong. I have to say that same question lingers in my head.
    Anonymous

• Being a Christian is not contingent upon following a set of rules. It doesn't matter what rules one ascribes to. A Christian is someone who believes in Christ. Period.

Maybe I feel this way because I am a Christian who disagrees with Christian legalism...I don't know. But I personally don't undermine the spirituality and connection with God that other Christians have, simply because they don't follow my specific doctrine. I don't think God is impressed with "rightness." I think God is impressed with an earnest heart that seeks after him, wherever he leads.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• No, I think sharing our different religious opinions is an important human freedom.

...if one denominations wants to believe and actively preach differently from another, then I would never stand in their way.
    Anonymous

• bravo, NL.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• uh NO
    Anonymous

• "isn't it an evil act to mislead people with the "not so right"?"

I think it would be evil for someone to knowingly and purposefully do that.

I think most people truly believe what they preach, and there may come a day when God needs to correct some beliefs, but I don't think he's going to punish or consider all sinful an honest heart sharing what he or she honestly believes. 

Anonymous

• Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the characteristic of a Christian a follower of Christ? The one "rule" we have is we strive to be like Jesus?
    Anonymous