5 Mos. & issues @ the breast??

My 5 month old has never had anything but the breast and everything has been great! However, the last few days she has been latching on and then yanking off with my nipple in her mouth. I have told her "No Bite" in a stern voice but she doesnt seemed phased. she does this repetively(sp?) and then goes back and tries to re latch. Its ver painful and i have no clue why she has all of a sudden started this.The last time i went to the doc she looked at her gums and siad she had NO signs of teething and showed me what to look for and it doesnt seem like teething issue. any other ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe it's time to wean.
    Anonymous

• My daughter started biting hard and often one day a couple of weeks ago. I think she thought my reaction was funny. Since she was biting at the beginning of the feeding, it was easy to just stop feeding her and make her wait and hour or two before trying again. Needless to say, she did a lot of crying for a few days, but she has stopped biting while nursing. She'll still dig into my shoulder though to let me know she's hungry. Who'd have thought 2 tiny teeth could hurt so much?
    jls9917

Answer by jls9917 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my son had started to do that...he just was messing around and not really hungry. If she does it, pack up and try again in a half hour or so. She'll get the point as long as you stay firm with her on "Owy dont do that it hurts mommy." I couldnt get over teething...my son got 4 and I couldnt get over it, I didnt have the patience at the time to push through it either.
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 11:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My almost-5-month-old is doing something kind of like this, too, although not hard enough to hurt. I do think he does it when he's not very hungry. He's also more aware of his surroundings, and he keeps pulling off to look around him. It seems like he's "testing" the nipple, too, but clamping down, but sometimes just a little bit. He also thinks I'm funny when I tell him "no" and pull him off. Of course, I try to be stern, but then he's being so funny....
    I TOTALLY disagree with the first poster! This would be a rediculous reason to wean a baby 5 months old! Hopefully it's just a phase... Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I TOTALLY disagree with the first poster! This would be a rediculous reason to wean a baby 5 months old! Hopefully it's just a phase... Good luck!

It's ridiculous..smarty pants.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• It is just a phase, try to see if you can predict when it will happen and take him off before he gets the chance.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Not time to wean. All babies are supposed to be breastfed at least 12 months (American Academy of Pediatrics) or at least 24 months (World Health Organization).

Saying No in a stern voice doesn't do any good. She sees it gets a reaction but doesn't understand. Of course you don't want her first word to be No and you want to encourage cooperation.

You might try just putting her down and then when she wants to nurse again put her down as soon as she does it. I'm not sure if she will be this smart yet.

www.kellymom.com is a great website and you may be able to find something that will help you there. There are good breastfeeding discussion boards at the Mothering Magazine website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:48 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• It's a phase most breastfed babies will go through. I tried the firm "no", the loud "ow" (that made her cry), and the time out, which made her so mad she refused to nurse until starving. What worked best for me was 1. making sure she was hungry and not just wanting to play 2. keeping her in close while latched 3. when she starts to act up (biting, pulling back, etc) I pull her in as close as possible- this makes her open her mouth wider and keeps her from clamping down or biting me with her four sharp teeth.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My daughter is four months and does this as well. I would never consider weaning for this reason either. She pulls herself off and whimpers to be helped back on repetitively. I find she only does this on one breast, when I put her on the other breast she nurses contently. I definately notice she prefers this breast over the one she pulls off of. Sometimes she fusses and I know it's time to put her on her favorite side.
    NatsWorld

Answer by NatsWorld at 1:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Three strikes. Firest two incidents, you unlatch and tell her no. Third strike, END the feeding. Try again in five minutes,

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group and search the forum for a post titled "When Babies Attack!" It'll help.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2010