have you ever taken an amtrak train on a trip??

if so did you like it? did you think it was worth the price? did it save u money over driving or flying?
did you get motion sickness??

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have several times. the first time was fine and a short trip really only maybe 8 hours. The second time i had my own room and i was traveling with an infant and 3 y/o by myself it was insane! they have things for kids but i had to walk through 5 cars to get to a the play area, and meals had to be delivered because i had the kids, and the movie room was just too hard to get to. If i had been alone or with DH it would have been great they had wine tasting and lots of things going on. when we got off the train after 2 days i felt like the ground was moving for the next 24 hours and i didnt sleep well at all on the train.

now that the kdis are older i might try it again but with very young kids i would never suggest it to anyone.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:11 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I have taken the train numerous times (from Montana to Seattle or the other way around) and I LOVE it. The tickets are cheap and although it can get annoying (stuck next to obnoxious people, hard time sleeping) I always find it peaceful and pleasant for the most part. If you like to read, just bring a book, a cooler of your own food and relax!
    If you have children, I definitely suggest getting a sleeping room though.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:11 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• also, it was WAY cheaper than both driving and flying.
    jenellemarie

• We have only done for the novelty of taking the train. We didn't really factor price into it.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• we've taken train from maine to north carolina - amtrak sleeper. It was great fun. There were no railings in halls so as train rocks badly on tracks and you walk to dining car you gotta hold onto walls on both sides. Meals were fantastic and usually dining tables were shared between guests who are strangers - but talk is gentle and a lot of laughter.

The sleeper car we reserved had a private closed off shower/toilet with a privacy door. Also had a futon bunk bed that lower part turned into a sofa.

In the least expensive sleeper cabins there's also a futon bunkbed - a lower bed at night and always an upper bunk above. The lower bunk in day can change into two separate chairs.

In the least expensive cabin there is a bench/toilet, no shower in cabin. But toilet has no privacy door. So with two people in the cabin to potty one pottys in front of the other - at night to wake up and see another potty literally yuk!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I did back in November 1990 from Norfolk, VA, up to somplace in NJ. I don't know the price because my dd's Auntie paid for the tickets so we could go up there for my dd's 2nd birthday.
    It was a very nice ride, very comfortable, and the switch between trains was very smooth because I had arranged ahead of time for someone to help me with our luggage (they have train employees who will help you with this if you are disabled, pregnant, or have a small child).
    I didn't get motion sickness and had brought along plenty of things to keep my dd occupied. When we went to walk to the dining car, though, she had better "train" legs than I did...lol...I had a hard time keeping my balance, but she just walked along like she'd been on a train all her life.
    Bring your own food, if you can, because the dining car charges a TON for a simple little sandwich and bottle of water.
    It's a great way to travel - better than a bus. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Only when I was younger. My dad was an Amtrak engineer so we rode for free when I was a kid. We used to go up to Michigan with my mom a few times a year and when I was in college I rode back and forth on the train.
    Cost wise it's cheap for short trips but longer ones are expensive even if you ride coach. I looked it up once for me and my 4 kids to go coach from PA to Chicago would have been like $600. Sleeper cars would have been double that.
    I once met a woman moving from LA to Buffalo, NY on the train with her 2 kids (about 3 and 4 years old). They were riding coach on a 4 1/2 day trip. Yikes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2010