Do you feel this is rude? Would you still consider volunteering?

I had an appt. today set up for 3pm to meet with a volunteer coordinator from a local women's shelter. I dropped my little girl off at a friends house and had my neighbors wait for my son to get off the bus and watch him. I get to my appt. 5 minutes early and the receptionist told me the volunteer coordinator was not in because she was sick. There was no one else I could talk to. So I leave and get into my car and I have a message on my phone from the coordinator telling me she needed to cancel and we would reschedule next week. She left me the voicemail at 2:47pm. I have been visiting with her via email and she knew I had a babysitter lined up and also has my address so was well aware that I had already left if I were to make it on time. Was this rude? If she was sick couldn't she have given me more of a notice than 10 minutes?

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 1:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in About CafeMom

• OP yes it was rude, she could have given you a better heads up. Typically because places are so short handed they try not to do things that would push volunteers to leave like not giving a proper amount of notice when having to cancel.

If she didnt know until 10 minutes before her message should have reflected that something like " i am so sorry i know you are probably on your way here already but i have suddenly bcome very ill"

If it is a organization you feel strongly about then yes still offer to volunteer other wise find another place. BTW I didnt feel that any of your post were boasting the fact you were volunteering.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:48 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Maybe she had just gotten sick and left.....if she was not in all day you prob would not have gotten a message...besides, this is a volunteer program right? they are usually short-staffed and overworked. As much as it was inconvenient for you, the world doesn't revolve around you either....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Yes, it's very rude. Especially since you're volunteering...you're the one doing a favor. I wouldn't let it discourage me from helping, though. The people who are volunteering for still need your help, and it's not their fault the coordinator basically stood you up. That's great that you're volunteering, btw. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Anon :27 I never said the world revolved around me and actually if I thought the world did I wouldn't even consider volunteering. I'm just more upset that I set up babysitters and inconvienced others while she gave me a 10 minute notice.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I'd be annoyed but would probably still volunteer. I think it was rude of her. I can't stand being blown off, especially if I had to get a sitter.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• if you're doing it to 'volunteer' for good reasons you wouldn't be so happy to tell everyone you volunteer volunteer ... VOLUNTEER! you seem to fishing for compliments and sorry you don't deserve them. This lady works for a womens shelter she could have went out on a domestic call you don't know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't let it put you off volunteering, but I would consider using your talents to benefit another organization if you feel let down by this one.
    potterpeaches

Answer by potterpeaches at 1:43 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• She basically wasted your time! The receptionist could've called to reschedule! That would've been the more professional thing to do, imo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I agree that it was unprofessional and rude. I think I would hope for an apology and maybe a reasonable explanation. You ARE a volunteer, and your time is valuable....plenty of places are begging for people to give their time, and the least that can be done is that volunteers are treated with respect and courtesy.

If this is a place that you really feel could benefit from your time, you may want to go ahead and give it another chance. If you are put off by it....find someplace else to volunteer. There are so many organizations that need help. You should go where you feel comfortable, especially since you don't have to be there at all.

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:57 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• How is she fishing for compliments? The fact that is was volunteering is part of the question after all...
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 2:14 AM on Feb. 13, 2010