My Son Is Biting... Hard!!! HELP???

I have a 16 month old son who for some reason loves to bite. At first it was exploratory biting and now it's to the point he's about to draw blood. I tried saying OW really loud and I've said NO NO about a thousand times... People say to bite him back but I'm a firm believer of not physically disciplining my child. And I don't believe in burning his mouth with hot sauce either... What are my options?

MotherofLAW08

Asked by MotherofLAW08 at 1:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my son, we make him show us nice touches (I'm very against physical discipline). He has to 'pet' the back of my hand and the back of his. It took about a week for him to get the idea. If he bites or hits me really hard, I turn him away from me and tell him I don't want to talk to him and go do something else. When he comes screaming, as he usually does, I tell him he was mean and I don't want to talk to him. He'll scream or throw himself on the floor but it'll take only about 30 seconds to a minute to tell me he's sorry. At 16 months, he didn't have sorry in his vocabulary but he'd show me nice touches and nuzzle up to my arm for a hug. My MIL suggested this system and it's pretty much completely cut out the nasty behavior.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2010