newborn questions??

how much did your newborn sleep? and eat? can a newborn sleep too much? my son is 9 days old and im a little worried he could be sleeping too much, i almost always have to wake him up to feed him, and its really hard to wake him up! it takes a long time every time i have to wake him up to feed him. is this just normal newborn behavior? or should i be worried? this is my first child so im pretty clueless here. any tips would be nice!!

momma_2b_2010

Asked by momma_2b_2010 at 2:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• both my daughters slept a ton. If you think it's hard to wake him try undressing him this will usually wake them up. Most newborns sleep 16-18 hours (seemed like more to me) out of 24... enjoy it soon they want to be up all the time. : )
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 2:17 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• In some ways I think you are lucky my son slept alot but only in 2 hour or less chunks of time which was difficult for me. Does he have between 6-8 wet or dirty diapers a day? If so he is eating enough. GL!
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Enjoy it while you can, it doesn't last forever. My daughter slept good but my son didn't. As long as he is settled and has enough wet diaper during the day then he is fine. Good time for you to get some much needed rest as well, being a new mom is hard take advantage of this time and sleep to. Doesn't mean you need to do housework you deserve the rest.

Every morning I feel a shove and it is my kids telling me mommy it's time to wake up and go downstairs. I wish they would sleep more but of course they grew out of that.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 3:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My son would sleep for hours and hours on end. and I used to get worried it was to much so i called the doc. and he said just to let him be, if hes really hungry he'll wake up himself...and when he was about 2 weeks old he started his cycle of waking up every 2-3hrs to eat now 2 years later im fighing to get him to stay in his bed and sleep. Take it while you can! your baby is tougher then you think your son may be only 9 days old but he knows whats good for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• my newborn sleeps 16 hrs a day and eats 2 oz of formula every 2 hrs!
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I woke my kids up during the day to eat if it had been more than 3 hours - they were breastfed. At night, I would let them sleep as long as they would. And yes - in the beginning they sleep a whole lot - if you want to wake them up you can try undressing them, changing their diaper, or wiping their face with a wet washcloth(I did all 3 to keep my kids awake long enough to get a full bfeeding)

Answer by missanc at 9:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Depends on the baby. My son slept ALL THE TIME. we had to wake him to eat. Or he would sleep for 10-13 hour straight i swear! My daughter NEVER slept! WE had to rock her carry her and nurse her to sleep any. If you are worried you shuold check with your ped. I also agree with Des11987
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Sometimes when the mom has an epidural the baby will be extra sleepy for the first couple of weeks after birth. That's one of the informed consent things they forget to inform you about. It can cause some problems with getting breastfeeding off to a good start.

Formula feeding or overfeeding can cause the baby to sleep a lot. Formula is hard to digest that can cause babies to sleep a lot. Make sure you know the max to give at a feeding and the max a day. The hospital and the doctor should have given you charts with this info.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Don't worry.. babies sleep a lot! If he is hungry, he will wake up. As long as he is still having plenty of wet/dirty diapers during the day and night he is eating enough. Some babies just sleep more than others. Babies really do sleep 16-20 hours a day for the first few weeks. Babies are great regulators though, they will wake themselves when they are hungry to eat. Being too warm can cause deeper sleep too.. you could try undressing him while he's sleeping to see if he wakes when he cools off.. If it doesn't wake him though, he probably isn't hungry and needs to sleep some more. You will get used to it, and this phase of sleeping all the time goes away fairly quickly, so enjoy it now!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Don't listen to Gailll. ALL NEWBORNS SLEEP A LOT, EPIDURAL OR NOT, FF OR BF.
    Anonymous