What is the average weight gain between the age of 1 and 2?

What is the average weight gain for a boy between the time they are 1 and the time they turn 2? I know the first yr they usually triple in weight and I know it slows down the 2nd yr, but how much does it slow down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/growth/grow12yr.html has some interesting info

They say about 3-5 lb weight increase between 1 and 2
    Then 3-4lb between 2 and 3
    and again 4lb between 3 and 4
    They start gaining weight quicker again around 8-9 years of age.

The best way to see it all in one place is via a childs growth and weight chart. Just google and you will find lots of examples.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 3:41 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• my son was 22 pounds exactly at 1 year and he is 27 pounds 3oz at 19 months. i don't know if that is the norm, he didn't come close to tripling his weight by 1 year, he's less than a pound away from tripling his birth weight now. he's just about 35 inches tall as well.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:57 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I don't think it's really average to triple their weight the first year, usually a very small baby will more than triple it and a large baby won't come close. Neither of my children even close to tripled their birth weight the first year. The information the first poster put is interesting, my son gained a lot more than that, but his weight was pretty low at 12 months. He gained 7 lbs from 1-2 and jumped from about the 10th percentile about the 50th and has stayed about average ever since.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My kids never tripled their birth weight in the first year, or even close! They all gained like 3-5 lbs while they were 1

Answer by missanc at 9:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• WHEN MY SON TURNED 1 HE WAS 25 LBS NOW AT 19 MONTHS HES 32 LBS HE GAINED ALOT BUT FROM 6-12 MONTHS HE ONLY GAINED A FEW LBS
    clark.s.mommy

Answer by clark.s.mommy at 10:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My son gained 5-6 pounds between 1 year and 2 years.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 12:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• OP here: I had read somewhere that kids triple usually in their first yr. My son did triple his first yr but he was a preemie. He was 21lbs at 12 months and is barely around 23lbs now at 21 months. So I was just wondering if he was seeming to be gaining averagely
    Anonymous

• I think 3-5 is the norm some gain less some gain more.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was 25lbs at her 1 yr visit and is 26lbs now at 19 months. Her ped. said it's fine and not to worry, since she was so chunky before.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2010