Vasectomy--in the "clear"?

My hubby had a vasectomy 5 weeks ago. The doc told him to come back after approx 4 weeks then after another 6 weeks for a follow up.
He went for his 4 wk check up yesterday and the results were negetive for his sperm count. I know several men don't go back for the 1st check up. The doc said to still use another birth control until the next check up. I'm just wondering if that's neccessary or just something the doc says to save his own butt.
How long after your husband's vasectomy did you stop using back up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Health

• Well if the Dr said to ue BC then I would. I beleive it can take up to 3 months for all his men to be gone for good.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 5:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Usually vassies work perfectly right off but those that don't can let the odd sperm slip through. So, personally, It would be wise I think to use other BC until the second all-clear. It could have been a fluke that he had no sperm in the first check. My hubby had a vas' and we waited. [that he went on to have it reversed 2.5 years later is another story! lol]
    JoojooJW

Answer by JoojooJW at 6:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Just remember they are NOT 100%:
    I used to work at this daycare and the mom to one of my kids got PG. They ended up in a divorce because he had had this done 3 years back. She insisted it was his baby but he was not buying it. Baby was born Paternity test done and it WAS his baby. At that point there was no saving the marriage. He had called her a liar and a slut. Make SURE he knows it's not 100% either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My husband had his done the day after our youngest child was born, so we weren't having any sex during those first six weeks anyway. He went back at I think 4 weeks and again at 6 weeks and had clear counts both times. At 6 weeks after that second clear count, we called it good and haven't used birth control since.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2010