How does your 14 month old sleep?

My son is 14 months and has never been a good sleeper. He has never slept through the night consecutively and has gone through periods where he will wake up in the middle of the night and not want to go back to bed. Right now this is what he is doing. Last night he woke up at 3 am and didn't go back to bed til' around 5 am. He gets one nap during the day for about an hour. He doesn't do well with crying it out, he will cry for as long as you let him and even if he were to fall asleep after crying, 10 or 15 minutes later he will wake up and start crying again. It doesn't do any good. I do bring him to bed with me at times, but that doesn't do anything. He will just toss and turn..Anyone been through this before? Or have any ideas?

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 9:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My grandson is just a couple of months older. His mom works and he sleeps in bed with them. He nurses during the night and she doesn't even wake up enough to remember how many times. At least 3 or 4 times he nurses. He has been able to find it on his own for a long time. She isn't tired for work and he gets along ok during the hours she isn't working without breastfeeding.

She isn't into mothering that much. She is into her job, talks on the phone a lot, and pushes him away. This is a fantastic way she makes up for it. My son goes to college and he and I take care of him even on her days off. He is down to one nap. None of my sons slept through the night until they were 3 so my son doesn't expect his son to start doing so anytime soon.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My 15 month old goes to bed at 7 pm and doesn't wake up until around 7 am, and he takes a 2 hour nap during the day.
    Maybe your son isn't sleeping well because he's overtired? My oldest has special needs so he went through a period of non sleeping when he was between 2 and 3. My big thing was he was not allowed out of his bed. I would go in with him and sing songs to him - yes for 2 hours if he was up that long, but I did not "reward" him for being up by letting him play or even get out of his bed. Eventually he did start sleeping through again. Goo dluck

Answer by missanc at 9:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2010