My 2 1/2 yr old son is not talking as much as other kids his age.

My youngest of 3 makes a lot of noise but has few words and a couple of partial sentences, but mostly its just lots of gibberish. He communicates by doing things like pointing, or if he is hungry he will make chewing noises. His Dr. says not to worry because my son shows he understands what is being said to him. Also its not uncommon for the youngest to be late in speaking because older siblings speak for him. but I am concerned

Heatherahh

Asked by Heatherahh at 9:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was the same way when he was small, he is 8 now and totally fine.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My daughter just turned three and her new pediatrician got her into speech therapy and occupational therapy to try to help her get to talking properly because she has a hard time with most words and still uses mostly babbling to talk. She doesn't use noises so much, but lots of babbling.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 10:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Speech therapy at three? I'm not even making a comment on that one!!

I wouldn't be too worried, all kids develop at different rates. Comparing him to someone else will just make you worry more. I agree having older ones does sometimes slow their talking. Mine didn't really start talking much till he was about 3-1/2, he just didn't seem to feel the need I guess. He could talk fine, just watched and listened a lot. Later on you could barely shut him up, it goes in cycles. If your DH isn't much of a talker either, he could get it there. My DS just turned 25, he's back into his 'not talking much' cycle.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Daisy521, that's not nice. My grandson was in doctor ordered speech therapy at 2. Turned out he had a hearing problem. They fixed that and he is improving but he seems to have some sort of processing delay. He hears and understands but can't seem to process it and respond verbally like others his age but he's getting better.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:48 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My baby has been in speech therapy since he was 12 months old and he loves it! It's mostly play, but a licensed speech therapist works with him, encouraging him to use his words and imitate what she's doing. I would be worried - pediatricians are notorious at missing things. My oldest son's pediatrician told me I had nothing to worry about - I pushed and pushed and finally he directed me to early intervention and my son has autism. I am so glad I didn't listen to him!
    If you have concerns, early intervention in your area (just google it) will do a free evaluation and then if a delay is found they will provide free or very low cost therapy in whatever area(s) is identified. It is so important to catch delays early before a child gets too far behind!!

Answer by missanc at 12:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My youngest brother didn't speak in actual comprehensible sentences until he was four. We lived in the country at the time, and he was not as outgoing as the rest of us, so he had a more limited interaction with people in general. He is almost twenty now, and communicates pretty well once you both get on the same page. He was never put in speech therapy; my second brother was b/c he had trouble with "r" sounds. If you're concerned, keep bringing it up. Don't let the doctor brush you off and keep pushing for a better answer.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• One thing that you can do, is call your school district and talk to them. They should come out and talk to you, and to visit with your Son. They may be able to offer services to help you.. Yes most of the time the older children will talk for the younger children, but if you are concerned about it, I would talk to your doctor or call the school district. Good luck.. :o)
    Neeters1

Answer by Neeters1 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Daisy, my daughter had a problem with excess fluid in her ears that caused her to hear everything as if she was underwater which screwed with her speech, so yeah, fuck off.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2010