which strategies actually worked for milk production?

So, which strategies (supplements, foods, home remedies, meds, routines) actually worked to help boost your breast milk production?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nursing more, specifically on demand, works wonders. Fenugreek, More Milk Plus, oatmeal. But why do you think you have a supply problem? I'm off to work now, but will be back after 4 to see whats up.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• either keep your baby at your breast as much as possible. or if you have to pump, then do it at least 8-12 times a day. my milk decreased when i changed to pumping. and then eventually i just fed formula. the best way to keep up your milk supply is to breast feed your baby when she is hungry. if your milk supply is decreasing for another reason (such as mine did when i became pregnant) then i am not sure what else you can do. i tried the mothers milk tea and everything when i became pregnant with my second, so i could continue to breast feed my first... but my milk just dried up eventually. nothing i could do about it. drink a lot of fluids as well.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Power pumping/nursing(alternating pumping and feeding baby every 1 2/2 to 2 hours.) along with fenugreek root and drinking lots of water.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Breastfeed one side and pump the other, alternate sides every other feeding. Use a rental pump.

Drinking too much water can decrease supply. Drink to thirst. Don't take herbs, they act like drugs and they haven't been proven safe or effective.

Oatmeal seems silly and hasn't been proven but doesn't hurt.

How much you can pump has nothing to do with how much the baby gets.

How you can tell if your baby is getting enough is if the baby is gaining 4 ounces a week or a pound a month. Don't take weights just after a pee or poop. You can take several weights in the same day and use the highest if close. If you think your baby isn't gaining and are considering feeding formula or other drastic measures it would be better to go out and rent or buy a baby scale or take your baby to the doctors for weight checks.

Weight checks are even better than wet or dirty diaper counts.

www.kellymom.com is a good site.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Nothing other than nursing. I counted diapers and by feeding on demand, I made more than enough milk.

asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Demand nursing, oatmeal, water, and keeping my stress low. High stress drops my pump output fast.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• More nursing and/or more pumping. You can take all of the milk boosting herbs etc. in the world but if you are not "removing" milk then it won't do much. The more frequently and completely the breasts are drained, the more milk you will make. Period. (This is assuming you do not have an underlying medical condition, such as PCOS, or low thyroid that is inhibiting milk production, in which case you need to treat that first.)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Mother's Milk tea
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I tried everything...Mother Milk tea, Fenugreek, pumping often...nothing worked for me. I saw five lactation consultants and they finally agreed that my milk wasn't going to increase enough to feed my son solely on breast milk.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Nurse,nurse & nurse, and pump in between.Oatmeal works,even oatmeal cookies.BUT before you do all this,get your baby checked to see if h/she is gaining the right amount of weight.

why do you think you are not letting down enough milk?
    Anonymous