Why is my 6 week old still throwing up?

I took him to the doctor's this past Tuesday. The doctor said he has strep throat and was working on developing pneumonia. He was perscribed an antibiotic, cough drops, something for his thrush mouth and breathing treatments. His mouth is fine now and his cough is gettin better. So why does he still throw up. I burp him he's fine. There are times when he doesn't burp and he his still fine. But at random moments it's all coming back up. I give him pedilyte inbetween feedings..so I don't know what it could be.

Robin438

Asked by Robin438 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never heard of a 6 wk old developing strep or pneumonia unless there was another underlying cause. I would go to a different ped. for second opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• acid relfex maybe? it can happen in breastfeeding babies as well as formula fed.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:04 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• This has to be made up. A 6 week old can't use cough drops. Ever.

If it is true lets hope a mother of a 6 week old so sick wouldn't be stupid enough to be asking on here instead of calling the doctor or going to the ER. Even a breastfed baby would be in trouble with dehydration with this many days of throwing up so sick.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• my son at 4 months got a cough and they wouldnt percribe him anything EVEN anitbiotics, because his doctor said that its bad to give babies antibiotics to children unless its VERY nesscarry.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• true vomiting or spitting up a lot?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• my son was 5 weeks and VERY sick adn the doctor prescribed him amoxicilin. So i think your doctor is just fine. Not sure about your original question though
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 1:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Strep is a virus and pneumonia is a secondary infection to a virus. Why couldn't an infant catch it?

Call your ped. They should have an ER Doc. on call for such questions. It would be good to check this out now rather than later. Is there still a fever?
    Anonymous

• if the baby is better then acid reflux could be a cause. DO NOT allow your doc to give baby Reglan.. it causes more stomach issues but lots of peds for some reason use it to treat acid reflux. Also, if your doc was so quick to give a 6 week old cough medicine, I'd consider finding another doctor. Cough meds in a child so young is NOT GOOD. Most docs won't give cough meds to a kid under 6 mos or even a year.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Sound like Acid Reflux. Go back to your doctor. Asperating vomit may have caused the first round of pnuemonia. And regarding Kristal2146's comment, Reglan now does have a black label from the FDA because it causes facial ticks in some children (which do go away as soon as hte drug is stopped), HOWEVER, some doctors feel that its benefit in helping children's who's somach is not emptying properly that the risk of side effects is less dangerous than the stomach problems. Ideally an acid reducer or PPI should be tried first, but reglan can be a wonder drug from some little ones.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Strep is a bacteria not a virus, even so anyone can catch it, young or old. I only mentioned the bacteria thing because antibiotics do not work on viruses so if anyone has a sore throat due to a cold or flu virus, antibiotics will not be prescribed. However, strep if left unchecked can kill so its important to get it checked out.

To the OP .... I agree with those who have suggested acid reflux if its happening at every feed. Cough drops for a 6 week old baby sounds very strange ..... easy chocking object and as far as I know, not usually prescribed for a baby so young.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2010