yesterday my heart was pounding out of my chest and I could feel/hear the blood pumping hard in my head and last night I woke up twice because I couldn't breathe....

Even when I was completely still yesterday (and I still sorta feel like this today and dizzy) I felt my heart pounding and like something was heavy on my chest... the blood pumping in my head was so loud and i could feel it almost swaying me back and forth if I sat up and was perfectly still. And the scariest thing ever was last night I woke up twice in a full blown panic because I couldn't breathe... it was like something was blocking my throat and chest... I was freaking out and finally caught my breath after sitting up for a minute... This all is scaring me and I don't know what to do. I'm only 26 years old... what could this be? (Also, I do have hypothyroidism, this is my only physical health problem) If it wasn't Saturday I'd call my doctor... but I really don't want to go to the hospital. (my husband is working and I have a 10 mo)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Health

• I would think that was a panic attack. Heart palpitations can also be from too much caffeine. Call the ER if it happens again and ask them what to look for before you give in and go in to the ER.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:52 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• This could be related to your thyroid and if you are taking meds it may be you need your meds checked. You can check your pulse and see what it is. If it is less than 100 you don't need to worry. If it is more than 100 then it may not be time to worry but your pulse is high.

It may be anxiety. We can even have anxiety in our sleep and it can be we don't remember a dream. If it happens again breath slow and be calm. If you can bring yourself back to normal quickly then it was probably anxiety. If you can't or you have chest pain or feel the symptoms of a heart attack then call 911. Look up the symptoms of a heart attack. I want you to go to the websites so you will read the info and it will stay with you.

I thought I was having heart attack symptoms and my son called 911. I was on the pill and had pulmonary emboli in both lungs. You don't have that, you die without treatment in an hour. I knew something was wrong.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I would be in the emergency room waiting to be checked out not sitting on my computer asking a bunch of women on a website for advice! I get that it isn't convenient for you but would it be more convenient for your DH to come home and find you dead with your little baby all alone with mom's dead body?

Get to the ER and get checked out to make sure there isn't anything seriously wrong. GL.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2010