question on gestational diabetes!!!!

i am 32 weeks and found out i have gestational diabetes. i was wondering what exactley will they do about this and do they deliver early cause of it and do they do lots of ultrasounds to make sure the baby is ok ?

Monkeychick

Asked by Monkeychick at 12:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've had gestational diabetes with 4 of my pregnancies. They always sent me to a nutritionist and I was able to control it with just diet, not taking any medication. I actually liked the diet - I felt like I was eating all day long, 3 meals 3 snacks, and I didn't gain a whole lot of weight so I didn't have it to lose after. I was induced early with my 3rd (at 38 weeks) but not necessarily related to the g. diabetes - most of the time you can safely carry to term. I didn't have any extra ultrasounds, but they did do a few fetal heart monitor checks where they would monitor the babies heart beat and make sure it was going up when baby moved and then coming back down when he/she was still. As long as you keep your sugars under control, there's no reason baby won't be just fine!

Answer by missanc at 12:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• it's up to YOU and your providers. here are some good links :-)

http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2008/01/michel-odent-on-gd.html

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html
    Anonymous

• The first poster covered mostly everything. I was able to control my GD with diet as well. You will see a nutrionist and also be given a moniter to do a finger prick and check your sugar levels several times a day. You will actually eat a lot healthier than you probably would otherwise ... there were just a couple of times where I REALLY wanted ice cream and felt sorry for myself. lol. The last 4 - 5 weeks of my preganancy I went for a non-stress test twice a week to monitor the babies heartbeat and also had a sonogram at 38 weeks to check his size. I was induced 10 days early as well, but again it really wasn't for the diabetes, I had other issues. My son was 8 lbs 4 oz and perfectly healthy. Good luck, you will be fine! :)
    happymama2D

Answer by happymama2D at 3:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2010