Can the strings of an IUD puncture a condom?

I just got the Mirena IUD 3 days ago and last night my husband and I had sex and he said it felt like a needle stabbed him at one point...can that effect the condom?

And does anyone know when the Mirena starts working to prevent pregnancy? Is it immediately?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would think right away, Didn't your doctor tell you? I don't think it can... its just a strong. I could be wrong, though.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• An IUD is effective immediately for contraception.

The strings are pretty soft and flexy. While it's not out of the realm of possibilities, it's really unlikely that the string "stabbed" him. The friction between the string and the condom may have been easier to feel. IUDs are 99.8% effective at preventing pregnancy if inserted properly.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I am not sure if Mirena is completely 99% effective immediately, although it does start taking effect immediately. I don't think that could happen, although I guess it is a possibility. I would not worry about it unless you are really feeling strong pregnancy symptoms in a few weeks.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 7:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I am a nurse and i also have worked in the obgyn profession for over 10 years , and i also have a mirena IUD in place , i have had it now for about a year , as for your question regarding the string of the IUD , yes it can be felt by your partner , i am not exactly sure if it can puncture the condom but iif you are concerned you should consult your gyn, they can cut the string if in fact your husband is complaining that he feels it , my advise to you is to schedule an appointment with your gynecologist to have the string cut a little more that is the only way to prevent your husband from feeling it , i hope ive helped answer your question , im no doctor but i can relate lol , good luck and the mirena does take effect within 24 to 48 hours but still verify with your doctor
    MrsMartinez1123

Answer by MrsMartinez1123 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2010