he screams and cries when daddy picks him up..

my son goes to his dad's house every weekend. his dad just picked him up and my son was screaming and crying saying he doesn't wanna go. this is the second time this has happened. note that he is at the age where he can tell me if anything bad is going on at his dad's house.. for example last weekend my son told me they smoke upstairs at his dad's house. which really pissed me off, but that's a whole different story. anyway, i kept asking him why he didn't wanna go, and all he kept saying was i don't wanna go! why do you think he started doing this all of a sudden? should i be worried???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Separation anxiety from mom is strong at this age. Who is "they"? Is there someone else there who may be mean to him or give him a hard time? Does he have to stay there over night. Maybe he wants to visit dad but wants to sleep at home. Just keep talking to him but don't put ideas in his head. He may just be having trouble being away from you.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• "they" is him, his girlfriend, and their 2 roomates. but yeah his dad just called me and said he asked our son why he doesn't want to go to daddy's and my son said because he gets put in time out. so i guess it's not so bad after all.
    Anonymous

• My stepson did the opposite and it really upset us and his mother. When he was around that age we would have him ever other weekend (same as now) and he wouldn't want to go back to his mom's house. She was upset, but nothing was going on and he got over it...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2010