Can I remove my IUD myself?

It's KILLING me. The pain is really bad. I can't get in with my doc until the middle of next week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Health

• UM NO!!!! it's clamped to your uterus!
    Anonymous

• The doctor uses a special instrument to remove it, that closes the t shape at the top, you could do serious damage trying to do it yourself. Just wait it out or go to the ER.
    Anonymous

Not according to what I've read. I have Paragard and the flexible arms of the IUD will fold up as the IUD slides through the opening of the cervix.

I'm only asking because I'm in some pretty severe pain, and I've been bleeding some [my period was over a week and a half ago] I'm having a lot of abdominal pain as well.
    Anonymous

• I had one a looooooong time ago and for the first several MONTHS that felt like over a year I had bad bad cramps. How long have you had it in? If it's not that long then it could just adjustment to it that's need, you getting used to a foreign object in your uterus that it doesn't want there, so it's like labor to dislodge the object just not a baby being born.

If you have a fever or bleeding abormally bad go to e r or call doc for emergency care. If a doctor tell you go to e r, to help bigger chance of insurance coverage tell registraton and trauma nurse who does your vital and rest of staff you see that your doctor told you to e r. That then should be written in record to increase insurance coverage. And if something's wrong, iud is dislodged somehow then that finding with doctor sending you to e r could get you ins. coverage.

Hope you feel better - I know it hurts!!!!! If you get fever, shakes, chills go e r.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Thanks! I've had it in since October. I've become accustomed to the bad cramping and stuff... it wasn't the last couple of days that I've started to notice the discomfort. The strings are also WAY longer than they used to be. I'm afraid my body is trying to expel the IUD.

Thank you for understanding that I'm not just crazy!
    Anonymous

• lol nope - go to the er
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• If it is causing you that much pain, it could be doing damage to your insides. Do not do more damage by trying to pull it out. Go to your local ER or Urgent Care clinic and have it removed properly.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• no no NO! Go to ER and hopefully they can remove it. I can't believe they can't get you in sooner! I am about to have my removed soon too. But I am not in pain so feel better:)
    Anonymous

• The ER won't do anything... long story. Suggestions? Maybe if I can find a mid-wife, can she do it?
    Anonymous

• NO please do not attempt to remove it on your own, you will not be able to and you can cause harm to yourself , your doctor must do it , im a nurse and i work for a gynecologist and we insert and remove IUD's on a daily basis, your cervix must be dialated to remove the IUD which is implanted in your cervix try and call a new gyn tell them your scheduling an appointment just to have an IUD removed , if it is causing that much discomfort you should remove it the cramping should have subsided within a weeks time but it is all dependent on the individual and there tolerance of pain , good luck but pleas do not attempt to remove and intrauterine device on your own !!!
    MrsMartinez1123

Answer by MrsMartinez1123 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2010