Can anyone explain how the bible does in fact tell us to judge?

and how we are to correct and be corrected?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• we should just judge righteously.
    Anonymous

• Judge Mercifully

Remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:2: "For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." You'll reap what you sow (Gal. 6:7-8). If you are swift and harsh in judging others, then God will see to it that you receive the same from others. Has God not been very merciful to you, even though you deserved it not? Likewise, you should exercise mercy toward others.
    Anonymous

• In other words, when a non-Christian judges a Christian it is evil, and when a Christian judges anyone who disagrees with them, it's God's will.
    Anonymous

• My husband's name is Matthew, we try not to judge others but hell, some people are really F-ed up.
    Anonymous

• I do not have any verses and I know only that we are to judge righteously and with mercy. *as stated above* But in my heart that sounds right, we shouldn't judge out of anger or revenge. Or even out of favor, say our bff is on trial and we want them to get off scott free and not pay for their crime, but that wouldn't be fair because we wouldn't treat everyone that way. So hear both sides of the story and even pray about it.
    Anonymous

• Galatians 6:1 "Brothers, if a man be overtaken in a fault, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in the spirit of meekness; considering yourself, lest you also be tempted." 2 Timothy 4:1 "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine." Thessalonians 3:14-15 "And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed, Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother." Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" Ezekiel 3:18ff "When I say to the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die...but his blood will I(God) require at your hand."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• We are to only judge people by their fruit, we cannot presume to know what is in their heart.

When we are to correct we need to do it with love and humility, when we are corrected we need to consider it honestly and examine ourselves with the Lord. We do not need to condemn ourselves.

I just read this verse today in the One Year Bible:
    "Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt.
    8 So don’t bother correcting mockers;
    they will only hate you.
    But correct the wise,
    and they will love you.
    Proverbs 9:7-8

Fools hate to be corrected, but wise people appreciate it and GROW!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Here is some more info on judging from a post a couple days ago : )

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• You need to use some judgement when deciding who you're going to date, who you're going to marry, what sort of companies you would work for, people you need to keep your kids away from to keep them safe...

...Essentially - I think it's appropriate when judging as far as what your personal interactions should or shouldn't be with a person.

But to judge whether a person is going to heaven or not, I think is entirely God's territory and none of our business.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe the Bible tells us that we can judge anyone at all, the only scriptures that I know of that give us the right to judge anything are those scriptures,  in regards to judging the fruit of our so-called "spiritual leaders are producing". So we know who to listen to and who not to.  Out side of that, I feel the scriptures that others use to back up their judgements are mis-interpretaions and or are taken out of context to further their own beliefs.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 6:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2010