clear fluid in sons ears

My son is almost 2 and doesnt say any words. So we saw a specialiest and he has no signs of autisum but he has clear fluid in his ears (not infections) and has had fluid in them for a few months. So he is also seeing a speech doctor, and going to get a hearing test in a week or so. Does that mean he might need tubes? or is clear fluid ok if its not an infection??

DilsMommy

Asked by DilsMommy at 1:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know, the ear naturally is supposed to have some degree of fluid in it. Clear and yellow I thought was fine as discharge but its more about quantity, location of the fluid, like behind the ear drum and the condition of the rest of the ear. I've had tubes and its a very easy procedure- whether they're necessary is for the specialist to decide. I had the one in a million scenario where the ear tube rotated inward instead of outward, but even that was a simple situation to correct. Hope everything goes well. You're a good momma to address the concern rather than rationalize them away :)
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 5:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• clear fluid isnt an infection - but also shouldnt be there, and my be disrupting his hearing a little
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I agree with the above. The tubes aren't a big deal. The key is to get the poor guy hearing. : ) It'll be okay.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• if he has fluid in his ears, then it's likely things to him are sounding like he's underwater and he won't pass his hearing test. Sometimes fluid will drain on it's own, but a lot of times kids need tubes. Both of my older son's had them multiple times, it really was no big deal. Between the tubes and speech therapy he should catch up quickly - those first words are so special!!

Answer by missanc at 3:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Thanks, he is getting and hearing test on the 1st and seeing a speech therapiest next week, cant wait til he can hear better, and start talking
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 5:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2010