Never wake a sleeping baby?

My son is 5 days old and swear he would sleep through the night but I was told not to by some people. I was told to MAKE him wake up to eat every 2-3 hours. then some people tell me to let him sleep that he will be fine. Which is it? He is HARD to wake up and i'm tired so I would like to let him sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was always told that for the first two-four weeks you need to wake a breastfed baby at least every three hours to eat if they aren't waking on their own, it helps establish your milk supply.
    Anonymous

• you are going to get a wide varriation of answers on here, but I say if he will sleep at night, let him! :)
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I was told to wake my son up every 3-4 hours to eat because they are so small that their blood sugar can drop.I was told once he reached 10 pounds (about 5 weeks) to let him go as long as 6 hours at a time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Are you breast or bottle?
    But_Mommie

• wake him
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• OP:: breast and bottle. I just am to tired to breast feed every 2 hours! I was in labor for 40 hours with not much sleep. I can barley stay wake to feed him. DH has to keep me awake. he is exhausted to and has to go back to work in a few days.
    Anonymous

• you can put him on ur chest while he's still asleep. I used to do that. She would get full while sleeping and remain asleep if she was that tired. And she wouldn't sleep so much in the daytime
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I'd ask the doc.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• If he is hungry, he will wake to eat! Forcing a newborn to eat through the night will cause health issues. Babies aren't like adults. They don't eat when they aren't hungry... SO even if you do wake him, he's not going to eat if he's not hungry. And if he were hungry, he would wake up to eat...

Let him get his sleep - he needs it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I was told not to have a newborn miss more than 2 feedings no matter FF or BF .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2010