Are religious and spiritual people just brain damaged?

link to article below...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 2:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe "damage" is the correct term. But I do believe there is a link between psychic phenomenon and the brain. Just because the brain is working differently from the "norm" doesn't mean its damaged. We only use a small portion of our brains capabilities. We don't fully understand the brain yet. I'm sure when Science has solved the mysteries of the brain we will know more about our spiritual experiences as well.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• What are your opinions on the findings of this published study?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• hi hart, there's no link? But I don't think so. I am more spiritual than religious - I practice what's preached - compassion regardless of one's life generalities. I definitely believe in God but I don't believe that praying to God always brings the answers that most people pray for. I get more out of my mainstream Christian religion praying for guidance to deal with what comes my way not praying for a specific solution.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Today I really think the whole human race is brain damaged.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• The scientist does admit this is a correlation but NOT causation.

It could also be that people going through this kind of treatment become more spiritual (as happens frequently to the sick) and thus the brain activity changes because of a conscious choice to be more spiritual. So the spirituality causes the shift rather than the shift causing the spirituality.

There are plenty of studies showing correlation btwn education, IQ, and religious fanaticism. Again, those studies don't claim causation either. But we all know you have to be pretty ignorant to be a suicide bomber.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I'm very spiritual and let's leave it at that. No need to prove my belief system but I think the idea is a farse. I disagree. My brain is fine, no injury here.
    Anonymous

• Every human action is about the brain, i.e. man created god in his image. In the big picture we are really very, very ,very small but our brains make us feel bigger.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Very interesting indeed, specially this quote: The human brain is always trying to determine why things happen, and when the reason is not clear, we tend to make up some pretty bizarre explanations."

Answer by older at 2:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• The article says people with a less defined "Me" area in the brain are more relgious, I would say this is true.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2010