18 yr old stripping

there is a girl my inlaws took in. last night we went to check on her and my sister in law because the parents are out of town. well, they were drunk and this girl is telling me that she is taking up stripping to leave this place and save her alcoholic of a father. it is so hard to tell an 18 yr old to drop her dad to save herself especially since her little sister lives with him- mom is out of the picture. i want to go back over there with an arsenal of information with alternatives for her. she can't see the forest through the trees and any help i can get in a way that she can get help for her family that doesnt resort to her pretty much throwing away her life would be most beneficial. i explained to her that stripping is addicting. you start and then you find yourself reliant on that life, i've seen friends go that way. any website that anyone knows of please let me know. thank you!

spazlilsister

Asked by spazlilsister at 2:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your intentions are good. You can bring her information but what she sees is money. Show her a quick way to make fast money and she may change her mind. But for now, it's the money and telling the 18 year old brain to go to school and get an education may not work. Good luck though.
    Anonymous

• well, i explained to her how to invest money and work with the banks and establish CD accounts and stuff and she really was interested about that. i also explained to her about places for two young sisters could go and they would get them jobs and stuff. i just don't know where any of these places are and she is still worried about leaving her dad because he is suicidal.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 2:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Show this video to her. This is a reality of what most men think of women that work in the "sex industry". At 18, she not yet capable of understanding how her being a stripper will decrease her chances of ever being able to get out of the sex industry.

The Price of Pleasure

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I feel so sorry for this girl. SHe needs guidance and good advice from an adult. EVen if stripping was not addictive ( and I doubt that it is...) , it would be sick and low-rent and she needs to be educated or trained to earn a living in a normal occupation. Oh wow. That is so sad.
    Anonymous

• I've known lots of girls who strip to pay for college/university, and they do very well. If she's at a decent club and strictly follows the "no prostitution" rule, she could make a lot of cash in a short amount of time, get herself and her dad set up and then quit.

Anonymous

• Wow, sorry to hear she thinks she has to save dad. She obviously has a good heart but this is what alcoholics put their children through. I wish she liked reading. She could read about Adult Children of Alcoholics and find out she can't save him but she can save herself. How about telling her to go to college? She can "save" him when she gets out of college by educating herself on his condition and getting a good job then getting him the help he needs by professionals.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• i dislike the industry because i think it is backwards. how can the horrible stuff on porn be legal because it is being taped. but just sex for money isnt. also lots of strip clubs in my area get busted for protitution all the time! i do know of women who have gotten out of bad situations via stripping. most dont realize how it is a death sentence to most career choices you might later want to do. cant put that on a resume from age 18-30 you didnt work? ...... i think the girl's intensions are golden and you should do what you can to protect her. but she is an adult who will have to learn her own lessons on her path in life. we all have to do that. fall on our faces before we wisen up. just try to help her not to get hurt.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• When I was 18 & 19 I was a stripper. I love it. I worked at a regular restaurant full time and danced part time. I loved it and would go back in a second (if I hadn't got fat!). It was very empowering, very self assuring. And the money was great! Honestly I would highly recommend it. It was a great way to get out of my shell and grow in to my own person. There is no reason she has to get involved with anything illegal or shady. Chances are it will help her self esteem, and give her the power to take over her own life... Like it did me... Today, I have a successful business, a happy family and beautiful kids... I've held many jobs since and unless you put in on your resume, there is no reason to even disclose it to future employers or educators, there aren't nearly as many road blocks for us as people think... Anyways, why not try to support her choice instead of deciding you know best.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2010