Need advice on discpline

We have tried time-out, the corner, taking toys away and have no results any ideas

Keesee_Jennifer

Asked by Keesee_Jennifer at 3:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• how old is the child?
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• What did he do? It's hard to advise without knowing what he did.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Are you consistent?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• What about tossing toys into the garbage (and then storing them in the garage). What about no meals out, no TV or plain old screaming? Sometimes you've gotta get your point across. Seriously, I have a 7 year old and I'd put up and tried to discipline his attitude for about eight weeks. Finally, I just yelled at him on Monday. Seems to have done the trick. I explained to him that Mommy has a breaking point and that I'd warned him for ages up until that point. Not the best advice, sorry.
    Anonymous

• my goodness. no. first step, stop taking things away. your child is rebelling. you do that and they will rebel more. i suggest whole heartedly to give them more responsibility and then instead of disciplining them when they are "bad", reward them for being good. i.e.: make a chart. let them pick the chores they are going to do. add EVERYONE in the family to the chart. whenever anyone does what they are supposed to do, add a sticker. when someone gets all the stickers in a row bring ice cream home. if you got your stickers and they haven't gotten them yet, they do not get ice cream. encourage them to get their stickers done and you'll be happy to give them ice cream. if they get mad, tell them that they make their own rewards in life and that if they aren't doing their part that is no one's fault but their own because they picked the chores they wanted to do. i also suggest you miss one or two of your daily chores so they see
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 8:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• mommy isn't perfect and dooming the child to fail just to take away ice cream. also, i highly suggest including the child in dinner planning and making. give them some pride and accomplishment at home. your child is fighting for some respect in the household- give it to them. show by example that you treat others the way you want to be treated.

and have fun because they grow up too fast!
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 8:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• What has helped me the most is having a routine. We change activities and the routine or schedule does change periodically but each morning I let him know what we are going to be doing. This helps cut down on the "NO! I don't want to do that!" I give him plenty of time to wake up and we never hurry out the door (two parent working house). On days off during the week I spend a good amount of time with him playing so he has lots of one on one time. We do good transitions to prepare from one activity to the other. I give him the five minute warning and count down from one activity to the next. For us, it is all about not starting the tantrums. Heading off before they even start. When in a melt down I usually sit with him, rock, and acknowledge how he is feeling and what he would like to do. I don't spank or even do time out really. Talking seems to go a lot better for him. We talk as I hold. No major issues.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I agree with pp also wanted to add 1-2-3 magic book is good. consistant, routine, structure and giving them chores& praise the good realllllllllllllly helped with mine. Hard at first but has really paid off.
    Anonymous