Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

virus or milk intolerance?

sorry to be graphic...our two year old has been having really explosive BMs for a week or so. The only thing that's changed in her diet, is she's tried chocolate milk for the first time( she hates milk, and is fine with yogurt etc.) and had it a few times. We're on vacation, and every BM diaper is KABLAM all over the place. I realize travel could be affecting her, but any advice would be helpful. Is this a symptom of an intolerance?

Answer Question
 
Ems629

Asked by Ems629 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • How about ice cream? Or sour cream? Things of that nature? If she's fine with those kinds of things, I'd be inclined to think maybe it's the chocolate in the milk that she reacted to.
    tropicalmama

    Answer by tropicalmama at 3:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

  • Hmm...that could be. She's fine with sour cream and ice cream. Does chocolate produce such a reaction? Yikes!
    Ems629

    Answer by Ems629 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

  • It could be an allergy to the chocolate, or a sensitivity at any rate. As for the reaction, I suppose it could. When I was a child, my mom found out I was allergic to codeine b/c it gave me massive diarrhea. Can you stop the chocolate milk and see if it helps? I'd do that and see what happens.

    tropicalmama

    Answer by tropicalmama at 3:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

  • Yes, chocolate can produce that kind of reaction. If my youngest child has more than a taste of it, he projectile vomits til he's cleaned out.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2010


  • Well, I think you might be on to something. It's not like she drinks milk at all anyway, she just saw my Mom drinking chocolate milk and insisted she needed some too....poor kid. Her B'day s the day before Halloween! Thankfully, she's not a barfer, but boy howdy, will this prevent her from over-doing it with the chocolate later in life !
    Ems629

    Answer by Ems629 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

  • While I agree that it could be an allergic reacion to the chocolate..it could still be the milk.
    My youngest is 2. I started intoducing cows milk to him at 1...he could not tolerate it and would get TOXIC POOP....he could eat yogurt..sour cream...ice cream..cheese.....but at 2 yrs old can still not DRINK cows milk. He only has a reaction when he drinks the milk.
    Just wanted to share so you could still keep an eye on the milk situation.
    jjessers

    Answer by jjessers at 8:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

  • I don't think it would be a milk intolerance if she has been fine with it up until now... but if she never drinks milk at all it would be hard to know....especially if she took a large volume of milk and her tummy wasn't ready for that.
    I would wait a couple of weeks and test it out.... I'd give her some more chocolate milk and see if it happens again.
    If it does I would assume there is something in there that doesn't sit well... but then you have to figure out which... milk or chocolate. Wait another couple of weeks and maybe try chocolate soy milk and see how that goes... if it's the chocolate then she will have diarrhea again I would expect.
    You could also try something like strawberry milk and see what happens (although I would puree fresh strawberry because the artificial stuff like Hersey might be similar to chocolate and you still wouldn't know)
    Trial and error!
    AmiJanell

    Answer by AmiJanell at 10:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.