business out of ur house

in washington state and i been trying to google, if i can run a cosmetology business out of my garage, before I remodel it, how do i find out if this is legal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Check with your local city council. They should have the ordinances and zoning laws that will let you know if you can run a business out of you home, what type of businesses you are allowed to run and what type of inspections will be necessary. A note of warning, it will probably raise your taxes on your home also. Check with an accountant to see what you need to do to write off on your taxes the remodeling you are doing.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 5:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Call your local city hall and ask for their city codes office. They will be able to tell you if your house meets the city codes. Some neighborhoods restrict any type of home business. They will also refer you to where you can get city licenses that are required, etc. Theres alot that goes into opening a business, especially a home-based business.I ran a taning salon out of my garage. I loved being close to home,especially for the kids,supper,housework,but clients were horrible to knock on my house door after closing hours & expect me to open up for them. I never had a family moment,sometimes I didnt even get the privacy of my own bathroom. Once I cooked a roast in the slow cooker for my family & a few of my clients invited themselves to my families dinner! They would also bring their kids to be entertained with my kids toys, if the toys got broke, oh well!It was hard to draw lines cuz I needed to money. I hated it! Good Luck
    Anonymous

• city hall.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2010